How do I introduce foster cats to resident cats and dogs?

I will be getting two foster cats in a couple of days. What is the best way to introduce them to my resident cats and dogs.

Luckylady32807

Asked by Luckylady32807 at 7:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Pets

• Bring the foster cat in a carrier. Do not let the cat out for awhile. Just set the carrier down and supervise while the others come over to investigate. Let everyone get their first sniffs and spats out. Then when things are calm you can let the fosters into a room. Close the door and let them be alone for awhile. The others will likely come to the door to sniff. You can place a bed in the room with the fosters and let them sleep on it. After their scent is on the material take it and place it with the others. They can sniff that more to get use to their smell. Once everyone seems calm allow one pet in the room at a time. Don't go to fast. You do not want to overwhelm them. Take a couple days to do this so there are no fights.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009