Need help please.....

Need help please.....

We have had our house on the market for 5 months with no offers please tell me what you think of my house thanks

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=32853&id=1175738750&l=97e122e789

jmoody2

Asked by jmoody2 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It's cute. I don't know where you live, so not sure of the price for that area. I sold RE for 18 years. First impression (remember it's just from me.....my view). There is no lawn. The 2 large trees right at the front door are not inviting. The color is fine. The kitchen cabinets are very outdated. The house is very neat and clean. Unfurnished it does not show hominess. Some people rent furniture to put in a vacant house, just to make it more inviting. People "picture" themselves in a house they're looking at......it's not inviting enough......too sterile.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• maybe you're asking too much for it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Update In Red

We are asking $116,500 it is in Dalzell, SC and the reason nothing is in there is because we had to PCS to Texas with the Airforce. We are also trying to rent it for $895.00

jmoody2

Answer by jmoody2 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I love the house but the first answer is right. It needs to be "staged". Even if you rent the furniture to put in it. I also agree that the kitchen looks a little dated. the floors are very very pretty. I don't know that area cost wise so I wouldn't know if it's too high.
    firewinky38

Answer by firewinky38 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I would change out the light fixtures to the ceiling fans and the bathroom light fixture. If you go to Lowe's or Home Depot you just buy the globes for the master bedroom fan. Light fixtures can believe it or not can make or break a house. Maybe some fresh taupe paint with painted white trim.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 10:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• ~~~~UPDATE~~~~~~~

Ok before we left we painted the whole house and also put the floors in. We are currently 18-20 hrs away from the property so we are not able to stage nor do anywork. Plus we have already spent serveal thousand on the updates that we have made. Saying this all of this was advised by our realtor. Maybe I should ask what would you pay for this house?

jmoody2

Answer by jmoody2 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• New Question~~~~~~~

What would you pay for this house?

jmoody2

Answer by jmoody2 at 10:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have no idea. I don't know the area, I don't know what other houses in the area look like that sell for the same price. Where I live, the house would be in the $320k range, unless the location is bad (like backing on train tracks or something.) How does the house compare with others with the same asking price? If it's unfavorably, then price is the issue, since staging isn't a possibility for you. Maybe you should try lowering your rental price and try to get someone in there for a couple years until the market improves?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• go to zillow.com and see how prices run in your old neighborhood. Your real estate agent should have shown you the comparable houses for your area and priced it right. You must look at what sold, not what is newly listed. Everybody lists high. Also if it rents for 895, it should sell for 89,500. Might be an old rule. It used to work well. but you said it hasn't rented either. Is your old base closing or are companies in the area laying off. If there are no buyers, there are no buyers. You may have to rent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• REPSONSE TO THE ANSWERS....

My house is in a nice area very quiet and histroic less than a mile from where General Thomas Sumter is buried . It is only 2 miles from Shaw AFB and alot of military live in the area. I feel that it is priced fairly a house sold on my street for $175,000 a couple weeks a go and one down the road $119,000 and yes I have looked at zillow and my house was appraised for $120,000 so I have no idea what the problem is I think either a lazy realtor or that because it was built in 1988.

jmoody2

Answer by jmoody2 at 8:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2009