HELP! Need Direction Following advice!

My 6 yr old step son doesn't follow simple directions well. Does anyone know where I can find some activities or advice on how to help him develop this skill better?? I looked on-line but haven't been able to find anything helpful.

MissMorgan07

Asked by MissMorgan07 at 7:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give only one step directions. You can't say "do A, then B, when you are finished, then do C.

You have to give A, then let him do that step. Then go on to B, ect. An give the directions to him in a matter-of-fact wording. Straight to the point.

My son has ADHD and other disorders. So, he is also a one-step-at-a-time kid.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Has he been ARDed (parental meeting with school system to discuss a childs needs) yet? If he has this problem, he may have some undiagnosed disorder that needs to be addressed. The school system can do free testing and there are also private testing facilities that you can use. You need to find the root of the problem before you will know what will work with him. It could be a number of things that he needs such as positive reinforcement, more attention, or something as simple as giving directions in a more creative way. You wont know unless you bring these concerns up to a professional who can help you better understand what is going on and what you can do to fix the problem.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 7:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm easily confused, lol
    Do you mean directions as in left, right, front, and back? Or north, south, east, and west? Or are you asking about following directions as in following instruction?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• 1. That was my next step he starts school Tomorrow. I think most of it is he cannot give full attention to anything, even it is a game or something he likes and is interested in.

2. He has trouble following instructions, simple instructions.
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 8:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Eh, good luck with that. Mine is the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree with the PP. Give directions one step at a time. Once he's completed one step, then give him the next. When he gets better at that give him 2 at a time. Just keep gradually increasing the number of steps. As he learns to read you can also write down the directions. In the meantime, you can use pictures. You could even take digital pictures of him doing each step.

This is a very typical problem for young children. Unless he has other issues, this isn't any indication of a problem at all.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009