When did you start time out?

My son is now a year but it never occurred to me to put him in time out until today when someone mentioned it. Should I be instilling discipline by now? I've just still been telling him "no" and redirecting like I always have.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its kinda a touchy subject on this site, discipline that is. But I will give you my two cents and let you know what I do with my daughter (15 months)

I do tell her "no" and redirect her. If, after 2-3 times of doing that she still returns to the activity in question, she receives a small pop on the hand with an even firmer "no". If, after that, she still insists on misbehaving (which rarely happens), I take her to her room and sit her in the middle of the floor, facing the wall, and walk away. I don't lock her in there or anything of that nature, but for now until she is older that is my version of time out.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You can start it now but dont expect him to sit there for a full minute or understand really why he is there. Time outs work best for children over 18 months, they have a better understanding of "they did something they shouldn't". Age of 2 is what most professional recommend. Google the topic and read all you can, it is an effective way the discipline IF it is used correctly. But it is just like spanking, you cant use it for everything, it works best for a few unwanted behaviors that is done repeatedly.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think it all depneds on what works for the child. I used time-out with my first son when he was around 15mo. and it worked for him. But did not work for my 2nd son. Redirecting and telling him no worked better. I think descipline should be an individual thing because what works for one child may not work for another child. My middle son did not care if he was in time out, he actually is layed back and took it as an opportunity to rest. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I started at one year and it's always been on the first step to our stairs. She's 3 now and if she misbehaves she knows right where to go.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• they know when they do wrong i babysit my neice and she is 12 months she bit my little girl that is 4 not really hard but she did the first time i just told her no then she did it again i put her down in the corner and said time out thats a no no then about 45 sec later i told her to get up she went RIGHT back over and did the same thing then it was back to time out she did this 4 times then the 4th time she walked over and gave her a hug....so they might be little but they know if you tell them not to do something what you mean i don't think one is too young to be put in time out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We started at 15 mos. I used a playpen w/o toys in the front room. I set the stove timer for 1 minute. Thru his screaming, I told him repeatedly that he was in time out for getting into the dog bones. The first time, he continually went back to the dog bones container. We did it 3 times back-to-back. The 4th time, I asked him if he wanted to go into time out. He shook his head No! and re-directed himself to something else. Amazing! It depends on the child, but you'll know when she's ready. It worked until he could climb out, but then you just shift gears. Any consequence is effective for a while. When it's no longer effective, find something else.

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 7:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• This falls into the bucket of "do whatever works for you". My son is 2 and I take the approach you do, say no and redirect. The vast majority of the time this is sufficient. Once in a while this isn't enough. When that happens, I pick him up, put him into a chair and hold him there while reminding him what he shouldn't be doing (or should be doing, as the case may be). That's as close to a timeout as I've gotten. He doesn't seem to get the timeout concept and any attempts to keep him in one spot invariably result in him thinking it's a game which totally defeats the purpose. I plan to keep trying timeouts until he gets the idea since I don't believe in hitting him.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 8:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ive been doing time outs with my daughter since she was about 11 months old. I am not a broken freakin record player, if I say something, I mean it and I shouldnt have to repeat myself until Im blue in the face. So I started time outs. Now, if I say go sit on time out, she knows to sit in the corner. She is 20 months
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 1:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2009