Why the hell do people think that their children can play out front unsupervised???

Every time I take my oldest to and from school or drive through neighborhoods I CONSTANTLY see children out front playing with NO SUPERVISION. I don't mean tweens or teens, I mean young children...like between 2 and 9....all alone. WTF???? Are people seriously the clueless and careless? There are so many creeps out there just waiting to pray on children who are not being watched. Even in a fenced backyard I believe they should be watched. You never know what people are capable of. I am disgusted by the negligence and lack of common sense that many parents have. These kids also ride their little bikes in the street, throw things at cars, walk down the block...yes, these are nice "safe" neighborhoods, but in my opinion that makes no difference. Turn off your soap operas and pay attention to your loved ones, keep them safe and learn what your priorities are. Anyone else agree??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree. I am a grandma, and we have 20 grandkids, they love to come over here and play. Sometimes on weekends we'll have 7-10 kids here. We made a standing rule, they are not allowed to play out front until age 10. Even when they are allowed out front there are certain boundries, and an adult is always checking on them, plus we can see them from the front window.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i do. even if its not some creep bad things can happen..ecspecially with little ones. there are so many parasites and diseses out their and little one will stick anything in their mouths...you hear about children dying over eating something that would seem harmless. if their seven and above as long as they know not to talk to strangers and are in a locked fenced in area and stay within view i dont see the promblem with them playing without constant supervision.
    mamatobe1989

Answer by mamatobe1989 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I cant say I do agree. No child should be in the road, and a two year old should not be outside unattended but a 9 year old, yes, they can play outside unattended, with frequent checks. It also depends on how busy your street is, if other kids are also outside playing with them. If you have a special needs kids or one that is unpredictable. But no, I don't send mine outside to play and sit on my ass and watch soaps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I do i can't stand when i see kids alone i even hate when my girl who is 4 plays on the porch and i watch her out the door i want to be able to hear and see everything
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My son is 9. He walks the dog, rides his bike and scooter, and walks around the corner to his friends. Granted maybe you live in a busy neighborhood as compared to mine but he is 9 and very mature for his age so I know he makes good decisions. Do I keep an eye every once in a while yes, but I don't stand outside and watch him at 9 years of age.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my kids play outside and i might not be out there the whole time. I watch them from the kitchen and dining room windows while making dinner, doing dishes, setting the table etc. they know where they are allowed and where they can't go. How do you know they are not being supervised that way?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I agree with 8:38. You never know if they are watching from the inside. You shouldn't judge things you know nothing about. I played out by myself at very young ages, granted we did live on 5 acres in ther country.

(my kids play outside and i might not be out there the whole time. I watch them from the kitchen and dining room windows while making dinner, doing dishes, setting the table etc. they know where they are allowed and where they can't go. How do you know they are not being supervised that way? )
    AidensMommy20

Answer by AidensMommy20 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Because the blinds and doors are closed up and the two and four year old crossed the street and went to the park BEHIND the house that is across from them, then proceeded to knock on my friends patio door and ask her what she was doing and if they could come in....and they DO NOT know her at all. She called the police and when they got there about 20 minutes later it was getting dark and the kids were STILL out there, no adults in sight and no one had come to check on them once. She watched from her screen door the entire time. The police escorted them home and talked to the parents outside for about an hour...and their behavior still has not changed. That is how I KNOW they are not watching them....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My younger ones ages 7 and 9 play out front with their friends all the time. I used to think the same way you do. The thing is, when the kids play here I know they are either on the greenspace out front or on our sidewalk or porch. In our neighborhood all the homes are right by the sidewalk/street. I sit in the dining room and work and listen to the kids playing. I can hear every word and if it gets too quiet or their voices sound far away then I go outside. The front door is literally 5 steps from my desk and the window is two steps from it. They know stranger danger and not to talk to anyone... even kids their age that they don't know. The parents on the block are all the same way. Some parents may not watch their kids, but a lot of us do even if it doesn't look like it. Anyway, sounds like you need to take a Midol and MYOB for awhile.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I HAVE TO AGREE.... I have a almost 4yr. old and I never leave his site for a second. He is such a extrovert! It scares me to see unsupervised childern. It only takes a second. I live very close to the street and even though it's not that busy anything could happen. I don't live on the main road either. It took me to long to have this gem to be careless.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009