Naps at 6pm

If your baby (almost 5 mos old) wants to nap in the evening, do you let them, or do you try to keep them awake for the most part?? Wondering how I should handle evening naps and bedtimes, etc. Any ideas?>

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When is her/his bedtime? If my LO wanted to nap at 6 and his bedtime is at 730 or 8 I might try to keep him up. If his bedtime wasn't until 9 or 10 I'd probably put him down for an evening nap.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 7:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Maybe you could put him/her down for a short nap if s/he is really tired.
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I always tried to have nap times all done before 5, but that is easier said than done sometimes. I would try to get them on some sort of a schedule, but ease into it a little. And when you sit down for dinner put them in the high chair next to you while you eat and interact with them instead of the swing...even though the peace and quiet is a bit tempting. LOL. Maybe try to go out and get some fresh air if baby seems drowsy in the evening, that can help to wake them up a bit so they hold off until bed time. maybe around 730 or so do the bath and story time and one more bottle or nursing. Those were a few things we did that seemed to work wonderfully. GL hon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Usually at 10 to 10:30, I'm trying to push back her bed time more as I will be going back on days to work soon. I have tried cereal and bathing at night, she still awakes once at least...
    manda13

Answer by manda13 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The last nap of the day for my almost 5month old is over before 5-5:15pm
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 8:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• My daughter has had a bedtime of 8 since 4.5 months old. At that age, she could sleep as much as she wanted until after the next to last bottle that she got at 4:45, after that, I would keep her awake till bedtime. It worked really well with us and I still keep her up after that next to last feeding.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my son is 5 months old and still does not go more than 3 hours before needing a nap. so if it sthe evening...i let him nap....otherwise he will fall asleep anyways or just cry... he is a very active baby though. I mean he is nonstop going going going. i think he just wears himself out fast. or its just his natural cycle of sleep. but they say not to mess with the sleep they need during the day..and so far, my son will still sleep at night if he takes a nap late. He is usually sleeping by 9, and if its past 7 I do keep him awake and then just start the bath and rest of the bedtime process early so then he goes to sleep earlier. and he has short naps so i can never count on a long one anyways so a 6:30 nap is usually done by 7 and gives him a recharge so he will be a happy baby for the rest of the evening. Try different things though. If you can keep your baby awake all evening and it doesnt get them overtired, that can work too
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2009