If you home school-

When do you start? I want to start on the 14th but I'm not sure if that is to late. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• We started May 18th. Unless you have to report to a government agency does it matter when you start? Start on the weekend. ;)
    HomeschoolingJa

Answer by HomeschoolingJa at 7:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I never really stopped throughout the summer, we did a little schoolwork a couple mornings a week ( math and grammar). I started full blast, however, on a regular daily schedule, last Monday.
    In the state I live in, you have to do 180 days of school, the "official" school year starts July 1st, and ends June 30 I believe, so you have a whole year to get in your 180 days, whenever and however you want.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I homeschool yr-round, so I never stop. I know ranchers who homeschool, and they don't start until late September/early October, after harvest. They make up the time by homeschooling well into summer.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We're starting when their public school friends start, September 8th. We try to follow the PS schedule in regards to holiday breaks although we don't take off for P/T conferences, snow days, etc. It's no fun to be doing school lessons when their friends have summer or holiday breaks.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• In my state, I don't have to turn in a school schedule. We started school on August 17. Public School here started on August 5. We have school 4 days a week. We have school through the summer because I got tired of hearing "I'm bored. What can I do?" At least having school in the mornings helps with summer boredom. We have school 6 weeks and 1 week off, year round.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 10:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• There is no "too late". You can start whenever you wish.

We homeschool year round. This way the kids don't have a chance to forget what they learned last year, I don't hear cries of "I'm bored there's nothing to do" and it helps minimize laziness and fighting. Besides, we can take all the time off we want without "falling behind".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• We never really start or stop because learning goes on all the time, year round.

There really is no such thing as "too late". That's the beauty of homeschooling. You can do things YOUR way instead of the school's way, so I suggest that you just do what works for your family and your schedule and don't stress it.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 10:58 PM on Sep. 2, 2009