How do you clean a mattress?

My son who is potty training had peed on sofa pull out bed mattress, and we got it used a long time ago from my youngest sons grandmother, so its a bit stained and I would like to wash and or clean it?
how do I do this and with getting rid of the urine smell?

lweger

Asked by lweger at 7:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would use bleach to get rid of the stain. If the bleach doesn't get rid of the smell I would dowse the mattress in some of that pet urine odor eliminator stuff. I hope that helps!
    bxp10070

Answer by bxp10070 at 8:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Our carpet scrubber has a hose attatchment like a vaccum for cleaning furniture. It works well on mattresses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You can also try ammonia. It's really hard to clean mattresses though. We had a house fire a few years ago and the restoration company told us to just get rid of the mattresses because it is not worth cleaning them since they'd always smell like smoke.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have no idea. I always spend the extra $20 to cover our mattresses with waterproof covers because I know they are very difficult to clean - especially urine.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Hi There... The best thing to use in your whole house is the stuff call "Odo Ban" it's very concentrated and it is the best disinfectant ever. It kills 99.99% of germs and it has a eucalyptus scent. I use this cleaner every where.... It smells wonderful. I even use it for my cars carpet and I wipe my whole car down with this stuff. It has directions for mattresses and I have used it to remove stains and odor. Once you buy this stuff you will replace all of your cleaning products to this one. When I have company they love the smell of my home. I have to say I tell everyone about this cleaner. My husband found it at Lowes and or Sam's.... Your bed and carpet and what ever you clean will really be clean. Great during flu season. Let me know what you think... Robin
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2009