What birth control do you use while breastfeeding?

I am trying to figure out what birth control I want to take. I will not do well with the mini-pill. I am horrible with remembering to take the pill on time and everyday. I am a little nervous about doing an IUD and having something stay inside of me. NFP does not work for us. Well, it does but then we just can't control ourselves, hence where baby #2 and #3 came from. lol DH refuses to use condoms. So I am thinking the depo provera shot is the way to go. Anyone have any experience with this? My baby is doing very well with nursing and I don't want to cause my milk to dry up. At the moment I am hoping to make it to 5 months with nursing, we are on week #3.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would be careful because the only one recommended while breastfeeding is the mini pill... it sucks I know... I tried to use it... cant remember... so we use Lifestyle's SKYN condoms.... closest thing to nothing... but DH and I need to wait till we have number 3... and I told him if he wants to have sex... he has to wear a condom... or NO DICE!!! cause I cant be preggers right now... PUT YOUR FOT DOWN mama...
    mamachef694

Answer by mamachef694 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Very mixed reviews on depo. Some moms say it killed their supply, others report different side effects that really sound horrid.

You might ask your doc about a diaphragm.

I too forget pills. So hubby had no choice. Condoms or no sex. When confronted with that, they generally see the light.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Was nervous about the IUD BUT I got over it and sure enough the Paragard was the BEST BEST BC ever. I have used tons of pills, one dried me up after my first in less than 24 hours..I loved my paragard I've had 2 and was able to get preggers immediately after having them removed...only side effect was a slightly heavier period the first day...

I am still BFing at 28.5 months btw even with working full time and stopping pumping at 19.5 months....
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• im on depo..u can either have no period or be like me and have your period forever...which kind of sucks! Im not breastfeeding..my daighter is 3 monthshs..and I STILL leak so I guess it all dpends on you, you could try it and if your supply goes down stop, but I really DONT recommend it...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 9:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• i am in the SAME situation.

and if i told dh to use condoms... i would NEVER get sex. he woudl just be like... well, no sex then. yes, that's what it's like for me.

dr. actually recommend that i DO NOT get on a BC, since we are still going to have children. he's like, just be careful. So I"ve been trying foam... i guess it made dh tip numb
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I have the Mirena IUD (the hormonal one). Both IUDs are perfectly fine for BFing mamas. It's a highly effective option. What are your fears about having something inside you?
    I gained 45 pounds in just 9 months on Depo that I have never gotten off. It made me a lunatic, and I've heard nothing but bad things from other people who have been on it, and from other nurses I've worked with who have either used it or seen patients on it. The hormones injected all at once like that can't be good for your milk, either.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009