Has anyone tested positive for strep B and then tested negative?

I've had multiple yeast infections since my marriage in Nov.2008( wasn't active before/never had a problem before). I got preggers on the honeymoon and was told I had strep B in my urine at my OB visit. My doc says there is no need to retest me. They are just gonna give me an IV during labor. Should I insist on being tested again? I would like to avoid another yeast infection for both myself and my baby by avoiding the antibiotics.

finallyamom2009

Asked by finallyamom2009 at 8:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i wouldn't definitely want another test. i was positive and got the iv but now i really wish i didn't because i hate needles and antibiotics. i think in my 2nd birth i won't get the iv either way. good luck!

http://www.givingbirthnaturally.com/group-b-streptococcus.html
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• sorry i meant i WOULD definitely want another test. lol. supposedly you can be positive at 30 weeks and then negative at 40 weeks. sorry to be so confusing!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• No you can not get rid of Group B strep you are colonized if you tested positive even only once--- you do not need the antibiotic for you you need to get it for the new born baby Group B strep can AND DOES kill newborns even very healthy ones EVERYDAY-- In the NICU we see about 15 deaths a year (in my hospital alone) from it on babies who were otherwise healthy... a yeast is a very small price to pay in exchange for thee life of your baby
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009