Time out?

What's an appropriate age to start time out?

HeatherLeigh

Asked by HeatherLeigh at 8:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• from time they are 18 months.
    i put my daughter on a blue chair for 5 mins and if she leave the chair i put her back in
    and ask if she is sorry
    she used to hit and bite
    mommytobe24

Answer by mommytobe24 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I take a time out whenever I need one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The standard thought is 18 months, but I think it depends on the child. I started with one minute intervals at 15 months - at 21 months she know what time out is - she sits in it as needed for up to 3 minutes - unless she is throwing a fit then longer.
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 9:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• usually you do one minute per one year of age, so after one, one minute of timeout is sufficent, two = two minutes ect. I think that as long as they understand why they are going in timeout you can use them
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I started o put my son in time outs at 14 months he dosent stay in as long as his sis but she gets put in there and at first he thought it was a game i was playin with her and wouldnt leave her alone. now he cant stand it.lol he learned fast
    monkybugmomma22

Answer by monkybugmomma22 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Maybe around Preschool... It could be called something more like "Quiet Time," though. Here is some info about disciplining that may help:

Tips for Gentle Discipline

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009