How to Quit Smoking...

I'm quitting smoking. I'm going to try Nicorette. Anybody have any other suggestions to help me quit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Health

• I tried the gum and the patch. What worked for me was quitting cold turkey. I put the money that I would have spent on a pack of cigarettes in a jar in the kitchen. When it got really hard -- the 3 week mark -- I looked in the jar and I had like $50!! That right there made me quit for good! I'm now 2 years from that day and I'm still putting money away and next year we're going to Mexico!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I quit years ago, it was fairly easy for me cuz it was when I got pg with my son and it was making me sick.

A few years ago when that very son was getting ready to go to the navy, he was quitting so he could actually run again. He was having such a bad time of it he kept talking about inventing the "Swedish Method" which basically is this: you hire a big guy named Sven...he hides in your closet and when you try to light up.....he jumps out and whacks you in the head with a big stick.

It might not make it any easier to quit, but at least the mental image might give you something to chuckle about.

Good luck, I know how hard it is.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm quitting AGAIN tommorrow. I've quit several times and the only time I've been successful is when I've had a great reason, like being pregnant. I always go back to this dirty habit, though, but tommorrow I'm done!! We are closing on our house on the 18th and I really can't afford to smoke anymore.
    I have some patches and some gum;) Putting money in a jar is a great idea. I think I will do that too-thanks anonymous. Good luck OP!!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 10:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The best way to quit is cold turkey. When you are really ready to quit, you will. The first 3 days are the hardest. It's the habit that is even harder than the nicotine. But once you get past the 3 days, you are on your way. You have to really really want to quit, no going back. That's the only way. Having a cig here and there does not work. I quit because I was FED UP with all of it, the cost, the smell, the inconvenience, and being a slave to smoking. Who leaves the house late at night in the rain because you "forgot" to buy some earlier in the day? Pathetic. But the final straw was my son. He said to me, "Mommy, I thought your 'last' pack was your last pack". I felt so low. You have to be bigger than smoking. Give it up, there is nothing good about it. Don't get me wrong, I miss it sometimes. But I am a non-smoker now. Don't do the patch or the gum. The cost is ridiculous! Only to keep putting nicotine in your system.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 10:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009