It's 2:45 Am here...my 1 month old still hasn't gone to sleep. I am going to start crying soon...

I NEED MY SLEEP! When i dont get sleep i get angry. VERY angry. So angry that i scare myself.

I scare myself enough that i'm scared to be around my baby for fear my temper will get the best of me and i may start yelling and screaming. Which i have done!

Has anyone else felt this way when it came to sleep deprivation or am i just a horrible mum?

And how can i help him go to sleep?

GrungeMum

Asked by GrungeMum at 9:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if the baby is fed and has a clean diaper and not sick, put the baby in his/her crib and give yourself some time.
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 9:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Let him fuss a little hun. Put him in his bassinet and walk away...stay where you can hear him but take a breather so you don't lose your mind. Try swaddling. Try turning on a fan for white noise. He can sense your frustration and that makes the situation worse sometimes. And yes....EVERY mom has felt that way at some point in their childrens' lives. It is normal, but you need to make sure that you step away and take a break....PLEASE. Have a friend come help you or even sit with you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Maybe you need to consider putting your baby a swing or other safe place and just lay back and catch a couple of z's while baby is content to play or swing in a safe place? Some times you have to sleep when baby is awake, just make sure that nothing can happen to your baby while you snooze.
    Anonymous

• trying rocking him, singing to him, reading him a story, or walking with him.
    my dd loves when i do that stuff.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 9:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm sorry honey I know its stressful, can someone take over while you sleep?
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 9:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I live in a house with two other people. They both have work in the morning. I can't leave him to cry. Thats all he does when i put him in his basket.
    GrungeMum

Answer by GrungeMum at 9:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• he might still be hungry. Are you bf? or bottle feeding? and where are you lol Its 10:51pm where I am.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• You do realize that you have several more months to go before your baby sleeps through the night, if even then???!!!! You need to be a little more patient, and realize that it's not your babies fault. The baby will sleep when he's tired...which should be several times a day seeings how he's just one month old. You should try to sleep when he sleeps, take several naps during the day if you have to.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• if you breast feed co bed -- get into bed with your baby -- READ THE STATS before you let anyone tell you it is not safe ask you pediatrician to show yo just one case of an exclusively bf baby co bedding with mommy only who had an injury-- there are NONE thats 0 cases
    for tonight ask DH to sleep on the floor or the couch you'll figure out the rest
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• yea, I've been there. Can your dh or someone take over for a bit? Do you have a pacifier? I know I said I wouldn't use one but when he wasn't sleeping it helped. He's clean, fed, burped ... right? try turning on the tv, another one of those "I would never's" but it might help, swaddle him tiight, hold him close and lay down together, if you have any white noise.. fan's, heartbeat sounds, that might help. remember to breathe mama, and count down from ten when you think you might lose it. tomorow try to sleep when he does, and remember it will get better
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2009