boys and nail polsih

My 10 (almost 11) year old son wants to dye his hair red and paint his finger nails black. I usually dont mind it when guys do these things but I have never had anyone in my family do it and now my son wants too and I am not sure how to handle it. My husband freaked out but I am all about freedom of expression and do what makes you happy but I feel wierd about thinking that my son wants to do this. SHould I let him do it if he wants or do I put my foot down and explain to him that most boys dont do this and try to spare him some ridicule in school?

KiKiSoup

Asked by KiKiSoup at 10:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Once we lived in a small town and my dd was about 15 and she put a collar around her boyfriend and had a whip in the other hand and they walked around downtown. good Luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Well first off, does the school have a policy against colored hair? If not, I would let him do it. live and let learn. Besides, it isn't a tattoo or piercing.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 10:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I personally would say No. It's my house and my rules. I preferred that my kids dressed and looked a certain way. If they wanted to look different, they could move out. That's just my opinion. But you are the parent and you are supporting them. Not vise versa.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• you should definatly let him do it. thats not true that boys dont do that. they do do that. and so do girls. ive dyed my hair blue, purple, black, red. i also have piercings and tattoos. my mom always let me do it. she took me to get my first piercing when i was 14, my first tattoo when i was 16 and bought me hair dye since i was like 12. freedom of expression is really important and you should let him do cool things like this while he can, while hes a kid because he cant do this stuff when he gets older. its not like hes gay or something, its just a kind of style. like similar to gothic but not as extreme.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I see nothing wrong with it, but I do agree that I would check school policy before anything is done. That's also the age my DD went through a goth phase, it did last a few years but I have slowly watched her go a little more main stream, I think a lot of kids expiriment at an early age, but do grow out of it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:20 PM on Sep. 2, 2009