My baby's not developing?

Everyone says that from day one your newborn should be in awe at your face everytime you pick them up.. and my son is 3 weeks old now and would rather check out everything else besides us.... well me... I dont know about daddy... I'm scared he's not devolping.. i read somewhere that when you stick out your tongue at your newborn they should stick theirs out back.. again.. he dosn't..
Jacob had jaundice for a while, a good week and half of bouncing biliruben back and forth up and down... The lights were torture and i'm scared that maybe that has something to do with it, they said that if jaundice gets really bad it can cause neurological damage... i'm not confident that the doctors discharged him after his biliruben went from 5 to 7.. they said he should be fine if looked yellow to call.. well even when his biliruben was at 12 he didn't look yellow.. I'm scared.. help? I dont know if it's normal for newborns to be so oblivious

jewelxkitty

Asked by jewelxkitty at 10:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ive never heard of that sticking out the tongue thing but my daughter had jaundice and her levels were almost 15..she used the bili blanket for almost a week...and just so you know once the bili levels go down they DONT go back up....Jaundice has to be present for a very long time and untreated at high levels before it does any damage...at 3 weeks, your baby is noticing shades and shapes around him...they will become more interested in your face later on and the tongue thing, my daughter might have been around 6 or 7 months and it was just to do it, not to imitate....the imitation stuff comes later....please relax and enjoy your baby...he sounds fine :)...sometimes the more you read the worse things are. You tend to just become paranoid...I was never worried about anything, until I came on this website! LOL!! Anyway, my daughter is a very healthy and happy one year old now, so just enjoy your baby!! Time goes by too fast!!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• They give you a list of what they should do or you read it on a useless site. I'm on my third baby and he is almost 5 weeks old and he doesn't stick his tongue out either. Alot of moms say there child is walking by 4 mths( a complete lie) but you get my point. The only things you should worry about is rolling over which my eldest didn't do that until he was 4 mths old and holding the head up. As for facial expressions I only worry about the ones that say I'm hungry or I need my diaper changed now. My oldest had jaundice and that level was a 13.8 and he had to be put under the lights. Zach my oldest walked first at 11 1/2 mths Danny didn't walk and he was perfectly healthy until he was 14 mths. Some develop faster than others. Go outside or put him in front of a window and let the sun shine on him for the jaundice.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 10:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I'm sure your baby is just fine. As long as he's looking around at things and seems stimulated by his environment he's fine.
    The sticking their tounge out thing is more of a reflex response to mimic... nothing more that the startle reflex it has nothing to do with his development.
    As far as his bilirubin levels... they have to go SKY high and stay at the level for a long time to cause any damage... and a baby with a bili level that high doesn't look yellow they look orange like oompa loompas! You would know if your baby was at risk.. you can't miss the color they change. And even when a baby has a bili as high as the upper 20's, they don't know how high it needs to get for for a full term infant... most of the studies are done on premature infants.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't know much about jaundice but my daughter didn't stick her tongue back out at me until she was over six months old and she is perfectly fine. And the reason docs usually say they always look at your face is because newborns can only see eight to twelve inches away at first and even that is blurry. If you are still worried, call his pedi, it's better to call and nothing be wrong than to not call when you need to.
    hansonfan1985

Answer by hansonfan1985 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Trust me he is fine. Just pull the shades up and if you have a bassinet let the sun shine on him. Or both of you sit outside during the day. My Jasper came back home as well with jaundice. Trust me Zach is ok today and he had a higher level. First borns can be scary.
    jenzachsam

Answer by jenzachsam at 10:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I think your son is just fine. My daughter was more interested in the chair I was sitting in than my face. She would stare at the arm of the chair for long periods of time. If by 6-8 weeks your son is still not doing anything different, then I would contact your doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• my baby did not stick his tounge out until 4 months when I did it....copying your expressions is something that develops way later than the newborn stage. and yes babys love to look at faces...but its not uncommon for them to be distracted and look at other things. the first month my son did nothing. nothing at all. didnt even look at a toy. he slept that was about it. i would always wonder why doesnt he look at me more .....well 5 months later he laughs n giggles like crazy at me, n is developing great. so just enjoy your baby. you will know if something is really wrong.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 10:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• A three week old is not going to mimic you. They can barely see past their noses so they are not going to be in awe of your face. Mostly they are in awe of the light patterns they can see around you.
    Your baby's bilirubin has to be VERY high in order to cause brain damage. I'm talking over 20 for a good amount of time. In most cases, bilirubin levels will peak and go down. Unless you baby has other issues, which they would have diagnosed, it won't go back up that high again.
    You should be seeing your ped for a one month check up soon. Write down all your concerns and talk to them about it. For now, enjoy your son.
    asiamommi

Answer by asiamommi at 11:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I don't think that every baby develops by the book. They have their own pace, some are late bloomers so don't feel bad.
    MyBabyScar

Answer by MyBabyScar at 12:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• He's developing. Dont' scare yourself to death. **smile** I've NEVEr seen a newborn "in awe" at ANYONE's face...they can barely focus that far unless you're right IN their face...and then I think that look of awe is actually terror..."what the HECK are you doing THAT close to me?!?!?!"

Relax.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2009