Crazier?

The State Department has extended a contract with controversial private security firm Blackwater, ABC News has learned. The contract was due to expire this month.

Sources say the department has agreed to temporarily continue using the subsidiary known as Presidential Airways to provide helicopter transport for embassy employees around Iraq until a new contract with another security company, Dyncorp International, is fully implemented. Presidential Airways is an arm of U.S. Training Center, which is a subsidiary of the company Xe, formerly and still commonly known as Blackwater.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yup, but youre the craziest
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• The Blackwater contract's extension is for an indefinite period of time, but an official stressed it was "limited." The official said the State Department would like to complete the transition in "weeks or months."

Once this contract expires, it will end Blackwater's controversial presence in Iraq. The company was banned from operating in Iraq by the Iraqi government earlier this year and the State Department did not renew its contracts for personal security details in Iraq. The airlift contract had been allowed to continue until it was set to expire this month.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING? What on EARTH!!!! Oh, I am so mad I could spit. Obama better rethink that approval.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• They should have been thrown out on their ears.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 11:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Is this the same Blackwater you keep bringing up that was contracted to kill terrorists? And the current administration is keeping a contract with them for security purposes in Iraq? I guess it sounds like there is more to the story.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

YES, and its supposed to be just for the changeover..a few months. Thats a FEW MONTHS TOO MANY! Although I dont know how reasonable Im being with their large operation (see the ratio between private contractors to military, scarey!) ...I still think it should be done ASAP!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

Me too!

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It could be that canceling the contract could cost more than just keeping them around for another month or two. It's all about the dollars now.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

Their contract is done, the Iraqi government has banned them . and they are leaving, however, in order for a "smooth" transition, they will stay on for a few months....I'm sorry, it may be hard, but I think they should be run out so fast.....ick, im just sick

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• Ah, sorry I misread that. So the contract expired and they extended it to facilitate a smooth transaction to Dyncorp being fully functional? I suppose if that is the case, then it would depend on what sort of security detail they are assigned to and who and / or what they are protecting.  At least that's my best guess.  Unfortunately, I don't understand most of the motives behind anything this administration is doing. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2009