What's the best way to get a 4yr old boy to stop playing with the toilet?

I'm still potty training my son and he'll be 4 at the end of sept. The other day he flushed a cup down the toilet and we had to unbolt it and get the cup out. I try to go upstairs with him every time but sometimes I can't get up there right away because I have two other boys to take care of too. I went up to help him wipe tonight and he had wiped poop all over the floor. I could really use help since he is my first son and I have never been around boys until I was with their dad and his family is full of them. Any advice please I beg you respond.

binbon86

Asked by binbon86 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Welcome to the Age of... REVERSIES!!!! Where they do everything backwards, know *everything* about nothing, are contrary for contrariness' sake, refute themselves, and act like they don't know better when they damn well Do.

There's potty locks for the toilet, hook latches you could put up high, baby gates.

Take him to see fountains or other interesting water attractions

Point system with stickers where he earns fun things or gets to do something special?

I like to make mine clean their messes up, wheee isn't housework FUN :'| {of course I'm right there with 'em, doing most of it anyways}

Not going to suggest looking up the weird Japanese cartoon video staring 'Shimijaro' the potty trained tiger, but yeah... maybe look up books {video?} like 'Everyone Poops'
    'cuz hate to say but he's your BOY and it's one of those weird phases he's beginning to want to know all about, and the toilet's part of that world.
    HollyLucination

Answer by HollyLucination at 3:27 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• Try disciplining him (Spanking if you spank, time out, whatever you use to discipline). My son is 4 and hasn't played with the toilet since he was 2 or alittle younger. I just stayed strict with him about flushing stuff and messing with it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 11:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• I've sorta hate spanking. I think it's sent him messed up signals and that's y he's so aggressive, and I have a difficult time putting him in timeout. It's weird for me cuz he is like practically 4 and should know better.
    binbon86

Answer by binbon86 at 1:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2009