how do i get my daughter tested for MR and autism?

She doesn't talk yet and she doesn't play with others and she walks on tip toes and she can't be potty trained! I have try everything help please?

mommabear86124

Asked by mommabear86124 at 11:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• talk to her pedi about your concerns and he/she should refer you to someone who can make the correct analysis.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• some of the 1st warning signs of autism are not lookin u in the eyes when you sya their name talk to ur doctor asap
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 11:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2009

• It depends on where you live - talk to your pediatrician and they should be able to refer you.
    Just fyi - my son would look you in the eyes when you called his name, and he has autism. That was the "test" the dr used when I first told him I had concerns. I wish I had pushed more, because I knew something wasn't quite right.

Answer by missanc at 8:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Testing toddlers for developmental disabilities usually do not take place prior to there 3rd birthday but mostly it is recommended that you wait until they are at least school age however, kids with developmental disabilities who show signs of being delayed are usually referred before this time and most of the time they are by thier pediatrician. If your child is seeing a doctor reguarly for check-ups when the time come the physician will make the referral. One thing I want to point out is that you stated she "Can't" be potty trained...potty training is more of a challenge for some kids, but this does not mean that they are developmentally delayed. Also walking on her tip-toes has nothing to do with her having DD or Autism. Also if your child is not around other kids who are functioning on a 3-4 yr old level this could cause some of the delay. Put her in childcare around other 3-4 yr old and she if you notice a difference.
    Hrd2b

Answer by Hrd2b at 10:39 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• take her to pedi --- refers to speech and hearing to rule them out,,, then refers to neurologist that work with autism.. dont wait till she is 3, early intervention can start as soon as you know and will help her to learn... dont wait, make the appt asap.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 11:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Testing toddler for developmental disabilities starts way before three if you have a good pediatrician! If a pediatrician is not following their development closely, it's time to find a new pediatrician!! Waiting until school age is often too late! It's called EARLY INTERVENTION for a reason!

OP...call your pediatrician and demand a referral to a developmental pediatrician. You can also contact your school district's special education department and voice your concerns (at the age of 3 they are too old for EI, and would fall under the committee for preschool special education or CPSE) I have two sons with Autism and they do make eye contact, they just don't maintain it.

Not speaking by the age of two should have been a huge red flag.
    Walking on tiptoes is a sign (sometimes) of a neurological problem, including Autism.
    Not playing with others is also a sign of Autism or other neurological problem.

cont...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• ...

My kids started testing before they were 2. That's bull about not doing testing until three! It's a law in my area now that doctors have to do a developmental exam at the age of 2 1/2. This includes a questionnaire for the parents and teachers if they attend daycare.

Talk to your pediatrician, call your school district, call a developmental pediatrician on your own.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i AGREE WITH 'OUTSTANDINGLOVE' TELL YOUR PEDIATRICIAN ABOUT YOUR CONCERN WITH YOUR DAUGHTER. THEY WILL BE ABLE TO TELL YOU WHAT TO DO,
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 7:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2009