How do you feel about the no child left behind act?

do you feel it will/has improved your child's education? Why or why not?

usdragonflies

Asked by usdragonflies at 12:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As a teacher, my experience with it is that is hinders more than it helps. All it did was put more rules and regulations on teachers as to what is allowed to be taught, regardless of what the kids actually need. It's very frustrating, and ultimately, is leaving behind more kids than ever.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 8:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well, I do like the idea they had when it all started but there are still kids that just move on to the next grade and the belief in on the elementary school level is they can only retain a child so much until he HAS to moved to the next grade and if they don't "fix the problem: in Jr. High then they will pretty much have to pay for it later in high school..meaning they will eventually just drop out or really try to graduate. Sad thing is that I see so many of our teachers try and try with certain students but if you don't have the support from the parents then it is useless. Example, A teacher wanted to retain a student in 3rd grade for another year and the parents response? They giggled and said "No, I want him to move on to the next grade so he can be with his friends and not be embarrassed". ugh! Another teacher told me that after tesing a child and realizing he needed to be put in Special Ed. She responded Con't
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 12:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• "No, you're wrong! He is smarter then anyone in our family. He's even smarter then the psychologist I take him to"! "Besides I don't want him being made fun of for being in Special Ed." The no child left behind is a good concept and I see the teachers try their damndest to get their kids to pass the state exams but if you have parents in denial, they will eventually be left behind.............in the workforce.
    ItsMeGigi69

Answer by ItsMeGigi69 at 12:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I haven't read the No Child Left Behind Act recently to see what may have been changed or added to it, but back when it was enacted I thought it was a wonderful concept.
    I do believe that the public school system is severely lacking, though, and passing older kids through the grades whether the parents approve or not just because their SOL scores say they passed that subject.
    My youngest daughter struggled all through middle school and failed at least one class each year, but because she got a passing grade on her SOL they refused to hold her back a year. In 8th grade she was in danger of failing 3 classes and I had a meeting with the teachers all at once with the principal and asked for her to be held back. They all said she would pass their classes and would not hold her back because it would damage her self-esteem if her friends went on to high school without her.
    (Con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• (Con't)
    So I tried to get an IEP or 504 for her due to her ADHD and I was refused even though all her teachers complained about her behavior in their classes. One of the teachers who complained to me in emails every week told me that my DD was fine once she separated her from the rest of the class. I felt ganged up against and frustrated, but I do understand about the self-esteem part.
    So, she failed English in 9th grade and has to take it this year before she can take 10th grade English. I had the option of sending her to summer school for $125 but wanted her to learn that when she refuses to do her homework she has to learn a lesson. She regrets not doing her homework and promises to do it this year. I'm keeping a closer eye on her, too, now. I told her if she gets a C or better in the class that I would pay for her to take 10th grade English next summer so she can be caught up. She likes that so now has a goal.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Although I think the idea was for "the greater good" I have a lot of teacher friends that say the act has been counterproductive. They say that it slows down their class.... DD is not old enough to be in school, this is just what Ive heard from actual teachers.
    pinkgemini85

Answer by pinkgemini85 at 7:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I experienced part of it since I graduated in 2005. ANd I can tell you it needs to be left behind itself. Its pretty useless, IMO.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• To be fair, I should clarify. My HS had some of the highest test scores in the county, and was one of the top academic schools in the state. Fast forward to NCLB. Since failing schools leave parents the options to transfer their kids out, many of them went to baker. The YEAR that the transfers were allowed, my HS's scores slipped, and it was warned. After one more year it's now on the failing list. Everyone here agrees it is the fault of NCLB, and its a shame to see my alma mater listed as a failing school. It has improved however, since the transfers were permitted. Funny thing was it was the failing students that left. Those that had been in the school for a while (it ran allthe way from elementary to high school) stayed. And its scores have improved.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 8:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• im finding out. my son's just starting preschool and his school district is Title 1 aka NCLB. i do know they offer free tutoring and free afterschool programs but are ran differently, they have ttend 5 days a week unless they are absent from school. i'll probably have more of an opinion at the end of the school year
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 8:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I like it and I don't...the thought process of allowing students to keep up was a good idea, but I think the exicution of the whole thing sucks.

My step-daughter is suffering with being able to keep up in knowledge with the rest of her friends. She has a hard time retaining the information, yet the school just crams it down her throat...like she missed 4 grades and went onto the following year with out learning the 4 she missed. In school you need them 4 missed years to keep up.

Just because the child is physically in the same grade with the rest of their friends, doesn't mean they are smart enough to keep up.
    MechanicalPup

Answer by MechanicalPup at 8:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2009