anyone have any success stories about being a younger mother and then finishing your education?

I do, I had my son at 20, I took a semester off of junior college to have my son, took online classes the summer semester after I had him, then finished out my last year. I just got accepted into a state university and I'm going to go starting september 23rd.

I'm not only trying to toot my own horn, but I feel that if I can do it with a baby anyone can! If it makes you happy go for it, because if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy!

pookipoo

Asked by pookipoo at 12:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in

• I had my daughter when I was 19, in the middle of my first year old college. I graduated Summa Cum Laude (3.96) and a year early. I took a year off because I got married and moved a million times (military). I'm now starting my MA and should be done by January 2011, around my 24th birthday! It can definitely be done.

I love being a positive statistic, totally worth the work! lol
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am a success story in progress.

I graduated High School, became a nursing assistant (CNA) and left it at that. I quit my job, and became a phlebotomist.
    Then I got pregnant with my daughter.

My daughter is now 15 months old, I have been out of school for 5 years. I am on the waiting list for the nursing program for fall of 2010, and in the meantime I am taking necessary classes such as Biology, Speech, Psychology, Anatomy,Physiology, and Nutrition.

I will graduate from the program in the summer of 2011, and it will be one of the happiest days of my life! (aside from having my daughter, of course)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, I had my son at 19. I started at a local community college and finished my B.A. at a university. I've completed 2 years of law school and waiting a year to go back. You can do anything if you want it bad enough.

Good for you Mama!!!

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 12:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Carolynn I say do what makes you happy :] and legalmommy thanks, I am very proud of myself

This isn't to say that I feel ALL young people, moms or not, need an education. I'm all for doing what makes you happy as a person, school makes me happy so I choose to go, and I am very greatful I have that choice
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:42 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Wow tori that is a crazy success story! Did you have a very good support system? 22 is when you are generally 'supposed' to graduate with a bachelors and 24 with a masters so you are right on time, baby and time off and all :]
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 12:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thanks! I actually had a great support system, my parents were supportive and my daughter also went to a free daycare for single moms who are low income and full time students. They provided counseling, tutoring and we had mandatory parent meetings and worked at the daycare (cleaning, making lunch). They also gave the kids birthday and Christmas presents since most of us moms couldn't afford them. Now I'm able to give back to that charity, which means a lot to me.

Congrats on getting into your university!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:25 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I had my daughter at 19 in June 2 months before I was to go away to college....transferred to community college, never took time off, always had classes even in summer at least 12 credits, transferred to private college, had my son 2 weeks before senior year (professors were surprised that I came back to school after having my son 2 weeks ago lol), graduated after 6 years with bachelors of science and masters of physical therapy and worked part time. I was in education for a year before I changed majors so it took me awhile longer. Now I have 3 chilldren lol and I am thinking about going back for my DPT when my daughter turns 3.
    kstn415

Answer by kstn415 at 4:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Anything is possible as long as you believe in yourself. I am a young mom I had my first son at the age of 16 i finished high school early went to college for MA and now have a job car and my own house and still doing good with 5 kids. Sometimes it just takes time and struggles. =)

Kristi_5

Answer by Kristi_5 at 4:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Not me but my best friend had her daughter a few weeks after graduating from high school. She was 17. She took a year off to care for her preemie daughter then went back to school over the summer at the community college while her mom babysat. Then during the school year she took night classes at the university and babysat during the day for money. There were times she had 4 kids in the house all under the age of 3 (she watched her cousin's kids) and she watched them all day, somehow got all her homework done, went to classes and still had time to play softball in a league and have a social life.
    When her dd was old enough for the university day care she started taking day classes. She graduated after 5 years (the same year her daughter graduated kindergarten) and is now an English teacher at a high school for troubled kids and is going back for her Masters. She is almost 28 now and her dd is 10. She's my hero.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:04 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• We gave birth to our frist son when we were 14 , we both finished high school and husband went off to the military by then we had a daughter too. we were 18. i went to local college and got my B.A and an Ass.degree then went to work. We have travel the country and world on top of that, yah our family helped us a little but not much. We had to work after school to buy for our kids and pay babysitters, our parents worked too. We had to get wic and food stamps for a while but let me tell you we had to more later on who are now 14,12. and we have done it primarly own our own and we are super proud of the fact that our age had nothing to do with making our family and making a good one and every one of our kids are honor students and we strive for hard work and good citizenship and respect and being a good person no matter what other do to you. We did it because we choose too, if we can anyone can.
    bamamom2212

Answer by bamamom2212 at 12:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2009