When can I start using toothpaste with flouride when I brush my son's teeth?

He is 13 months...do I still need to use the flouride free infant toothpaste?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i think it's two yrs; not positive but pretty sure
    heartfrommyson

Answer by heartfrommyson at 12:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• When he can be trusted to actually spit it all out and not swallow any of it. I have a three and a half year old that hasn't figured it out yet.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 12:52 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Our dentist said to stop using the other junk as soon as possible. his quote "they get more flouride from 9 grapes than a pea size toothpaste used to brush." So we stopped. Call a pediatric dentist in your area to see what they say. I stopped as soon as the Dentist told me that.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Some families prefer to avoid fluoride altogether. (Like ours!) Because of it's toxicity, you might want to research it some to see if you really want to use it (ever). If you decide you do, be sure your son will spit it out, not swallow.      I have some info saved:

http://www.fluoridealert.org/50-reasons.htm

http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/

http://www.holisticmed.com/fluoride/

FLUORIDE & TOOTH DECAY (Caries)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• When they can be trusted to spit it out when you are done. My oldest wasn't until he was a little over 3, but my 27 month old does great spitting.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Our pediatric dentist informed me that there are a lot of myths about fluoride toothpaste. He said to use flouride toothpaste as soon as they get their first tooth. He said that if you keep the toothpaste out of their reach so that all they are getting is what you put on their brush then there is nothing to be concerned with. He said that swallowing what's on their brush isn't enough to harm them at all and that more harm will come from them not getting the fluoride. I've used sensodine pro enamel for kids since my son was 9 months old.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:55 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am Dental Assistant and until your child can spit it out and not swallow it you should use flouride free tooth paste. Onsumption of flouride can cause brown spottiing on your little ones teeth that can't be removed until they loose those teeth. There are other toothpastes out there that don't have flouride not just the crappy infant ones. I don't know where the dentist from pp got there degrees bc most dentist don't use flouride or recommend flouride until 5-6 years.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I believe the age is 2. You should check with your child's doctor or ask your dentist. I don't believe flouride is good for children younger unless recommended. Your child can sometimes get tummy aches from the flouride. If you want your child to have flouride have them drink water and if your a poland spring person, they sell water with flouride for children with poland spring. My friend's daughter takes flouride vitamins but your best bet is to ask your child's doctor, they know your child.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009