How do I go camping with 10 month old baby???

I am not one of those mom's that can let her baby crawl around in the dirt. It's just not gonna happen. My baby is not one of those babies that can sit in a jumper, entertainer, or swing for more than 5 minutes. A month ago we tried camping and we brought jumper but she only sat in it for like 5 minutes and for only 3 times a day. brought the playpen but she only slept in it for short naps during day (too cold at night despite blankets). I wound up killing my body holding her all day and begging hubby and friend to hold her. We do not have a camper and I cannot leave her in tent for obvious reasons. all suggestions will be very helpful! how to keep her warm at night, how to keep her happy, etc.

LVmama

Asked by LVmama at 1:40 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hate to say it...but I think it's too early for the baby. I'm thinking about all the lovely bugs that are out there who would LOVE some nice fresh baby to munch on, you know?

Answer by gdiamante at 1:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Will she stay on a blanket spread on the ground? Or a big tarp? Kids crawl in the dirt, they get dirty. If you take a 10 month old camping she's either in your arms or on the ground since she won't sit in anything else for a long time. You have to decide which is the lesser of two evils for you.

At night, I'd bring her into bed with you. Do you do individual sleeping bags or a communal bed with your hubby? My boys have their own tent and all three sleep together under a couple blankets, they help keep each other warm. We camped this summer and one night it got down to just above freezing, and they were fine. Either way though, bring her into your bed to share your body heat.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have a suggestion. Get over the baby playing in dirt thing. She will have a blast. Just watch that she isn't eating anything from off the ground and that she stays away from the fire. As to the keeping warm at night, put her in your sleeping bag with you. That way she will be warm enough and will sleep through the night.
    Camping is a blast. I say go and Have FUN!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• and why cant you wait till the baby gets older to go?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I went camping when I was that age. So did my hubby. We got dirty though. Maybe you can get a play yard and put a blanket down? Bigger than a pack n play, but still confined?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Honestly, if you think it's going to be too dirty, it probably is going to stress you out enormously.

One of the things I've always loved about camping with kids is getting to come home, after all the hard work and no-luxuries of camping, to enjoy the simple delights of hot running water and a bathtub.

If you don't have the stamina (and lots of people don't) to be pretty dirty for most of the time you're there, you probably would not enjoy the experience at all.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't understand why you're going camping if you're such a dirtaphobe. I mean that's fine that you want to keep your LO clean but why pick tent camping as an activity? Regardless here's some advice.. we went camping for 4th of july. We were at the beach and brought a big blanket and a kiddie pool and he was either in the pool or in the sand the whole time. There was also a playground there and he swung or like and hour and loved it. We brought the umbrella stroller and we took walks and just talked to him the whole time and he seemed pretty happy. I pointed out everything. It also might help if you brought someone with a baby your LOs age. We did that too put them in the pack and play and they played together. As far as keeping them warm at night when he went to sleep we brought the baby monitor and put him in the car with the heater on. When we went to sleep we cuddled him between us with a ton of blankets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Our fist camping trip with my daughter was when she was 4 weeks old and we have gone camping ever since, when she started crawling i would lay out a tarp with a blanket on top, we also have a very large tent so i was able to let her play in the tent with her brothers with the flap open. The best part about camping is getting dirty for little kids, Camping involves dirt no matter what age you are. I use rubbermaid totes to pack in and while we are camping they are empty so they double as a tub for the kids. Many areas also have grassy areas and we always try to camp near them this way a blanket on the grass isnt as big of a worry.
    we used footed sleepers and knit hats at night time then put her in the sleeping bags with us and several blankets. Now that she is a big girl she has her own sleeping bag and i put the warmers in the kids bags about 2 hours before they go to bed.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My suggestion: Don't go camping, I take my 16 month old, dress him in footed pajamas with extra onesies underneath at night. He plays in the dirt all day and has a blast. You CANNOT go camping and expect her to stay clean or even smelling nice. You also can't trap her in a playpen or jumper. Its not going to kill her to crawl in the dirt. Fresh air is good for them. It sounds to me honestly that you are looking for an excuse or reason to not go at all. If you can't handle the woods and such, then stay out of the forest. Because the stress you described is simply not worth it. Wait till she's older.
    asalynsedai

Answer by asalynsedai at 2:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My daughter was 3 mos old when we went camping the first time. It was in February and arount 5 to -10 degrees out. We kept her in the car during the coldest part of the day... or night rather. We started the car up every hour and kept circling hot air. When she did come out she had a snowsuit and blankets all around her and sitting as close to the fire as I felt comfortable with. We kept a firing burning day and night too. She LOVED it! Looking around, the different sounds... everything! I do understand not wanting your baby to get dirty, but it gets so much worse! I was the same way until about last week and now I can't keep her clean (she's 21 mos).
    At night, pull her in with you! No harm there at all. Plus, you know she's safe and warm! Let her explore and feel the plants and such, walk around with her and show her stuff, tell her to point out what she sees and hears!
    cont.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2009