Overpopulation?!? Why are you here?

Someone explain this without starting drama. Its an honest question I was thinking about earlier today. Since the Duggar's announced their pregnancy with their 19th child I have seen several women on CM say that they are wrong for having that many kids with the overpopulation in the world. I have heard people talk about this when they weren't talking about the Duggar's...just talking about women having kids in general. I even seen a woman today say she has 2 and wants a 3rd but she won't have it because she doesn't want to overpopulate the world.

So here is the question....if you are worried about overpopulation, why are you on a site called cafeMOM...that means you have a child(ren) and you are telling others it is irresponsible to add to the population.

AGAIN...NO DRAMA...Just educate others on your view.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If there weren't MOMS, there wouldn't be any population... I think most women are talking about have 10+ children, they probably feel that you should stick to a few kids, either because of overpopulation or carbon footprint. I personally don't care how many children you have as long as I'm not paying for them. : )
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't see the correlation you are trying to make. What does being on a parenting website have anything to do with overpopulation? I just do get what you are saying...sorry.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• OP-

Saying it is irresponsible to have children because it adds to the overpopulation seems like they are being a hypocrite if they are on a parenting website. That means they have children. I know its possible they have adopted children, but the specific ones I had in mind when I asked this haven't adopted. As I said, they were saying things like "I have 2 and want 3 but I would be overpopulating."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I believe in zero population growth as in one to one replacement ratio. No more than two kids in a family.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• gdiamante, if someone's sibling dies before having children can they have an extra kid?
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Good question. - I'm not a proponent of "population control" by means of either social pressure or government mandate. I think everyone should have their choice - BUT I also believe that people should exercise common sense - if you can't afford 6 - don't have 6. If you sincerely believe that procreation is by-and-large directly harming the earth - then I hope you don't have ANY children - It is certainly hypocritical to say "oh, you should have (# of kids a person has decided to have) - while you're standing there rubbing your pregnant belly. All in or all out. The is no middle ground - because then you'd get into "who decides how many per family" and I guarantee that would cause a bigger upheaval than is being seen over the health care bill now.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 1:53 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm not worried about population, I'm worried about children raising children because beyond a certain number parents start relying on the next one down to take care of the new baby (or the old baby --it's inappropriate either way).
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Here is an interesting article on  ZPG. I still do not think there is a connection to what you are referring. People can be parents on one or two children and still practice the theory of ZPG. Also what about parents who have adopted children? They are practicing ZPG, by not procreating themselves.

Sorry, but I think you are trying to connect things that have no connection.

Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• OP-

Hubby brought up the point that people might want 2 because that doesn't add to the population, it just replaces the parents once they pass, but that doesn't make sense to me because that doesn't change the overpopulation, it keeps it the SAME. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009