he wont brush his teeth by himself..

i've tried EVERYTHING to try to get him to brush his teeth. i've tried getting the ones with his favorite cartoons on it, musical ones, vibrating ones. nothing works. i have to brush his teeth myself and i still have to fight with him to open his mouth. i figured he would be used to it by now because we go through this everyday but NO! helppp!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well first you have to remember that he is still a very young. My boys just started to want to brush thier teeth and thier 3 and 4. My 20 month old girl screams and fights me, but I've learned that if I sit her by the sink and let her play in the water, she'll let me get them brushed. I also let her go around the house chewing on her tooth brush...it's like brushing in a way. Try to find out what make's it easyer for him to let you brush...you really should brush his teeth till he is older anyway, just to make sure that it is done good. I brush my boys first then let them brush thier own.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 3:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My boy is 24 months months but he lets me brush them. I haven't even thought of letting him do that on his own, I can just see him stabbing something important. I just make it a part of "night night time" and make sure he is tired enough for it. I let him sit on the sink (it is a really sturdy one built on top of a cabinet) and switch the light on and off or run the water, he just loves water.
    Renee21

Answer by Renee21 at 3:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well my dentist says they cannot usually efficiently and correctly bursh their own teeth until they are 5-6 years old. My 4 year old brushes his own and then I do a quick touch up and he is fine with it. My 27 month old is a different story. Some nights she wants to brush her own and I always tell her if mommy can brush first then she can after I am done. Other nights she wants nothing to do with it, ,but will happily let me brush them if she is allowed to watch in the mirror.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My 5 year old still doesnt but its fine with me becasue I know she wont do it go enough. My 2 year old and 1 of my 14 month old cries when I brush thier teeth teeth but I say the harder they cry the better I can get to the back teeth. The other 14 month old doesnt mind it at all.
    MomOfFour24

Answer by MomOfFour24 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Maybe try another flavor of toothpaste or let him brush your teeth first.
    lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 11:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009