Giving sweets to a 15 mos old

My SO and I just had a conversation about this. I am completely against giving our 15mos old sweets, not even a taste. (my son has very sensitive teeth and we have a difficult time feeding him). He doesn't think giving him a taste here and there is a problem (popsicle). We agreed that no one can give our son sweets and that I would definitely not do it, while he would like to do it once in a while. What does everyone else think??

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 3:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dont think the popsicle thing is such a biggie, but i didnt give my dd any kind of junk food until she was 5 and it was for a party at school. I just figured, let me start her life with all healthy food, because by the time she goes to school i know she's going to have junk food. At home, i never bought candy, just ice cream or frozen yogurt. now she's 14 and she's not big on candy. I'm doing the same with my little one.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:00 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't think a taste if going to harm your little one, just personally.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I would give good food choices, but not even giving him a taste is unrealistic. You can control him at 15 months, at 4 or 5 when he goes to school you will not be there to monitor. Strike a moderate balance of sweets here and there, but treats are fresh fruit or whatever you deem treats. when you are not around he may reach for the yougert.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 3:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have a 15 month old also and I don't see a problem with and taste of popsicle here and there. popsicle is not as bad as what some parents give there child so i think your worrying a little to much, that is just my opinion.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think that if you can keep him from having it then do so. So many kids only eat junk food. Having a healthy life style for your kid isn't going to hurt him. You can't miss what you never have. But I think cake on his b-day is always nice. If you start giving him candy...he'll just want it all the time, trust me...I know. I was the same way as you, but my mother in law would give my kids things behind my back. Now everytime I'm at the story my kids act up wanting be to buy junk
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 3:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i think theres no harm in letting your baby have a lil bit..its part of life..and teaching moderation is a whole lot easier than teaching NO YOU CANT HAVE THAT!! cuz whenever they get the chance (when their older) theyre just gonna overload on it when noones around. moderation is the key!! obviously ya dont have to give sweets everyday, thats not what im saying, but a lick of a popsicle, or a bite of a cheezie isnt gonna kill them!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:50 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I don't see a problem with a taste on occasion. I have a 21 mo and I give her tastes here and there but still make sure she eats her food. Denying them to her makes her want them more, but giving her one or two a week gives her the chance to explore different tastes. There are limits of course but telling her no while all her friends get a cookie or a sucker? I can always tell when she has had too much because she will recieve something sugary and either give it back or throw it away and want fruit or veggies.
    I think denying your child sweets could make it more desirable because you don't want him to have it, but I do understand not wanting them to have it! I do give my dd sweets but always cringe! As long as YOU eat healthy, and he is seeing how often you eat sweets vs veggies you don't have a problem! Every now and then dd offers a bite of her whatever and I always say "no thanks!". That is usually when she is done as wel
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• no harm in it a taste here and there. sounds like you are just an overly anal mommy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on Sep. 2, 2009