Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this onion poisoinous?

I just bought nice new fresh white onions last week.
When I looked in the bag, all the onions had black mold-like speckled tiny spots on the skin. They are very light and I washed them off with water.
Does anyone know what type of fungus this is and if the onions are harmful to eat even if washed?

Answer Question
 
Lulu_101

Asked by Lulu_101 at 4:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • uhm sounds like MOLD!? lol

    i would not eat them, i would puke.
    MomNbabyGirl009

    Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

  • I think I've just peeled the onions when I've seen this, but from what I am reading, they should be thrown out.

    http://ezinearticles.com/?Aspergillus-Black-Mold-on-Onions---What-Should-Be-Done-With-Them?&id=1414867
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 7:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

  • http://blackmoldaway.com/mold-treatent/aspergillus-black-mold-on-onions
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 7:33 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.