sweep..........

ok so im only 40w 2d but went 2 my midwife 2 day and she gave me a date 2 go n get my sweep which is wednesday the 9th septemberi was just wondering if i no this is gonna sound gross but if u or ur partner cud do your sweep 4 u??? i just dnt think im ready 4 sum stranger 2 look at my bits i no they will have 2 wen i go in2 labour... can eny 1 help or is this dangerous or not?????

molyneux88

Asked by molyneux88 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• what is a sweep??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• membrain sweep where they try to losen the cervix
    molyneux88

Answer by molyneux88 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• oh oh .... u need ur dr to do this.. lol.. they have the CLEAN tools to do it with and im sure they arent goin to hand u one and tell u to have someone do it... GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Getting membranes swept is unnecessary and no matter who does it there is a risk of infection. Not to mention it can be painful, cause bleeding, swell the cervix, and will NOT work unless you are teetering on the brink of going into labor on your own.

You have the RIGHT to refuse, they can't make you do it even if they complain or try to scare you.

They are doing this because it is routine, not because you need to. You aren't even overdue until your 42nd week is fully complete. And even then there is no need to mess with a natural process unless there is a problem. That rule (naegles rule) that they use to estimate due dates for everyone is rarely accurage. Only 5% of women give birth on that guess date by sheer luck. If this is your first it is quite normal to go at least 41 weeks and a couple of days on average.

If I were you, I'd seriously rethink allowing it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2009