my daughter is suddendly afraid of the bath what do I do?

From day one my child has loved water. At bathtime she would do he best to throw herself into the tub. When she started walking she would come running everytime the water was turned on and stand there all excited even try to lift her leg over the edge of the tub to get in.
She has never fallen in or hit her head attempting to get in.
Suddenly two weeks ago (about her 1st birthday) this changed. She still comes running in to the bathroom, but now only wants to push her toys around. She screams, shakes and cries and struggles to get out. Most of the time holding on to my neck as I try to wash her. I've tried adjusting the temperatures, time of bath, bubbles, more/less toys, washing her in the kitchen sink, washing her in the dogs tub, even getting in the tub with her or showering with her to no avail. She has never been swimming, even though she watched her cousins swim while she was in my arms. What do I do>

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 7:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Perhaps you can take a bath with her to show her there is nothing to be afraid of. They also make tub crayons that my son loved. She can scribble all over the tub and then it washes right off. She may think that is interesting enough to distract her from her fears. Good luck!
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 8:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• When my DD did this we bought something new for her to have in the tub that would distract her. First we bought these little tablets that crayola makes, one tablet will change the water color to blue, etc. We also bought her a little doodle pad for in the tub and she loved it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I hear this often and my son some days gets like this too - but I know there were a couple poeple that it lasted a couple months for - there are days my son screams bloody murder and he used to love them too - I have to hold his while he's screaming - he has scaly itching scalp issues so I HAVE To wash his hair so I don't have the option to skip it. Sometimes I lose the fight but he lets me give him one in the morning instead or I have heard of using water shoes - its kinda fun for them? Food coloring - sometimes if I let him use a cup to scoop water in and out or let him fill up the cup from the focit that works - I know it sounds like it wouldn't but it did.. either way, from people I've talked to, it doesn't seem to last more than a few months - I know it would be hard in the mean time though
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2009