Any Ideas on How to Make My 11 Yr/Old's Transition to Middle School Easier?

Today is my son's third day in the sixth grade. He has been dreading going to middle school since the middle of last year. He is small for his age and although he is very bright, he is also on the immature side emotionally.

He awakes every morning now in a very sad mood and ends up with a stomach ache before school begins. Not enough to keep him home, because we both know it's nerves. But no matter how much I try and talk to him, listen to his fears and assure him that once he gets the new routine down, he will be fine, he gets upset and shuts down.

He is normally such a happy kid... I hate to see him so sad and disillusioned with school. It is harder. The school is huge, the classes are big, they only have a few minutes to get from one classroom to another - sometimes not having enough time to get to their lockers... He is overwhelmed. I am not sure what to do - if anything.

Thanks!

Dlp11494

Asked by Dlp11494 at 8:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in

• Honestly, you are doing everything right. Your son has to find his own way, and I know it's heartbreaking, I've been there with my boy, it usually passes on its own. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:46 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Did you speak with his counselor? They might have some suggestions. Perhaps an older student can be like a "big brother" to him, see that he gets to his classes on time, sits with him at lunch and gives him confidence boost that will help with making friends and eventually navigating the school on his own.

Hope this helps
    Es
    lbzmom

Answer by lbzmom at 2:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thank you both!
    Dlp11494

Answer by Dlp11494 at 5:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Absolutely speak to his advisor or a school counselor. I promise you that he is not the first to go through this difficult transition. It WILL get better but they can help him and help you help him if they are aware of the situation. {{{hugs}}} to both of you!
    twoarefun

Answer by twoarefun at 5:40 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Will do. Thank you :-)
    Dlp11494

Answer by Dlp11494 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 2, 2009