What precautionary steps are you taking to avoid swine flu? (other than the vax)

I'm trying my best to stay home as much as possible (since being pregnant puts me at the top of the "vulnerability" list), but when you need groceries, you need groceries. I usually have to take my 9 month old and 2 year old with me.

Hubby's in the army so Lord knows what he does or doesn't come into contact with at work.

We obviously wash our hands a lot with soap and water and I bring hand sanitizer with me now wherever I go. But for my youngest obviously her hands are constantly in her mouth. She's old enough to sit in the cart, touching the bars and then in the mouth her hands go. I SAH so nobody's in daycare. I guess my biggest concern is whatever her and my other dd might touch while we're out and me not catching them fast enough to wash their hands, but I can't keep them couped up inside either.

We're not getting the vax. Am I just being too paranoid?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Health

• You know, thing happen. You can't prevent it. Even if you lived in a bubble, something could go wrong. So try your best not to worry, take reasonable precautions, and most importantly, enjoy life right now, while you've got it! Screw swine flu!! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm not doing anything more than I already do.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• the only thing that I caution you on, is that if they are never in contact with anything (uber-hygenic) then they are prone to getting everything twice as bad since they haven't got the immunity to fight it off. We do wash hands frequently anyway but I don't freak out if she grabs a shopping cart and then sticks her fingers in her mouth. Some bacteria is good for the system.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Are you wiping the cart handle bar down before use with an antibacterial wipe? Sometimes the stores have them to use. If not-buy a travel pack and keep them in your purse. I don't touch public door knobs (I pull my sleeve down or use my shirt) also-my kids know not to touch ANYTHING in public bathrooms. The kids carts-the ones that look like cars are a big ol' NO NO. I won't use them-they are always sooo disgusting!

We aren't getting the vax either. If someone is sick-obviously coughing and hacking-stay away from them-I will say 3-6 ft.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Jade is sooo right, Germaphobes have a much higher risk of getting sick and being sicker. We need germs and bacteria. Just practice common sense and normal good hygene
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Not doing anything new. Just basic normal good hygene.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Lol we definitely aren't germaphobes in this house. But this whole thing has got me freaking out, especially since a pregnant woman in my area recently had to have an emergency c-section 2 months early and she's in a coma now for 25 days from swine flu.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• we wash hands a lot the is the #1 thing everyone can and should do.
    bring along sanitizing wipes and wipe down the cart handles.
    get lots of fresh air, air out your house as much as possible. spray surfaces with lysol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009