interracial relationships: what would yr parents reaction be if you were with someone of another race?

if you dated outside of your race, were there any threats from yr family/others who disapproved (insults,threats,violence, disowning, etc)?

smittnlittlkitn

Asked by smittnlittlkitn at 8:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• my parents hated it.. my sister married a mexican my dad put a gun to his head.. then again he was treating my sis like shit.. my sister has a mixed daughter with a blk man.. and i have 2 kids with a blk man. they use to sit there nigger this nigger that blah blah blah.. once the kids where here they toned it down and quit acting like assholes. but i dont care what they or anyone thinks my kids are mine forever no matter what color. I think the more parents hate it the more the kids will do it. Now a days kids think for themselves when it comes to things like that .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• most all my family could not have cared less what race he is. my father is the only one i believe may have cared . but he cares about other things alot more than race. he and dh actually get along very well/
    smittnlittlkitn

Answer by smittnlittlkitn at 9:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• both my parents seriously care. both my parents are ignorant a-holes... that's why i have very little contact w/ them & live 1,500 miles away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My hub is black, I'm white. We have 2 kids and one on the way. When we first got together we received alot of grief from BOTH of our parents. His mom hated me and my dad refused to even meet my hub. After our 2nd child my dad came around and actually got to know my hub and now asks how my hub is doing ALL the time and if my hub answers the phone, my dad will talk to him instead of me, lol. I asked my dad why he didn't want to meet my hub in the beginning and in a moment of complete honesty my dad said that he got the stereotypical black man image in his mind the moment I said he's black. Baggy pants, no job, only with a white female so he could treat me like crap, etc. Luckily for him, he actually got to know my hub and now says that I'm lucky to have found someone who loves me so much. His mom never changed her opinion about me but I feel like thats her loss and has nothing to do with me!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Sorry, ran out of room, lol. I didn't get threatened or harassed by either of our families but in public it's diffrent. I went to the store and had the guy behind the counter say that my son (who was a newborn at the time, is now 3) should be thrown in the trash!!!!!!!!! We've been out together and had black women call me a whore and a slut and talk about me! I don't know any of these people so they have no reason to dislike me but it still hurts my feelings alittle bit when it happens.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 9:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am married to a Hispanic man. I have never had any problems frome anyone about this. Everyone has always been understanding and it has really helped our relationship. I will tell you this, though, when my mom gets mad at me, she will saying something mean about my DH. This just tells you how immature she is.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:31 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I was 12 when I brought it up to my mother, and she was very threatening. Something about my dad killing the guy if I brought him home. It was about black guys. I argued with her for an hour and she got seriously upset by it. My parents arent racist, by no means, they unfortunatly watched a few friends who married black guys get cheated on and beat up and verbally abused, so they never trusted black men with white women. I have seen it alot too, but if I had fallen in love with a black guy (never met one I wanted to date), I wouldve done what my heart told me to do.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My husband is black (well, half black actually), I am white and my parents were thrilled that we got together. They don't care what color his skin happens to be, they focus more on his character and what kind of person he is. It was my grandparents, aunt, and uncles that had a problem (my grandma told my mom at our wedding that I had 'ruined' the family, my aunt asked me if there was any way that I would 'pass him off' as hispanic instead). People outside my family don't seem to care.
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 2:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2009