How do I get my child to be more cooperative with her teacher at school?

My child doesn't like school and her class is mostly a class with all boys with only 4 girls and she doesn't seem to click with any of the girls in her class but she does have friends in the upper grades.She had trouble last year listening to her teacher and now is doing the same this year.Homework is a battle!She picks out clothes the night before and then doesn't want to wear them the next day and she always wants to wear the same clothes!!I put her in time out and take her Nintendo DS away as punishment and it doen't seem to affect her sometimes.Help!

shannon2206

Asked by shannon2206 at 8:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It seems as though your daughter need some rules that are consistently enforced in your home and at school. When we think about rules we always think about punishment, however I suggest positive reinforcement for apporiate and acceptable behavior and consequences for negative behavior. 1st if she picks out her clothes at night then that is what she should wear to school the next day~ no discussion about it SHE picked it out..explain to her that once you pick it out and it is iron that is what YOU will wear to school. Listening at school... Having an issue with respecting the authority figures can really get out of hand if you do not address the problem IMMEDIATELY! Have a discussion with her letting her know that You and the teacher are the Adults and she must listen and follow directions. Reward her (praise) when she listens at home and school therefore reinforcing the positive behavior, when she does not listen impl. a con
    Hrd2b

Answer by Hrd2b at 10:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Girls are great aren't they. Since this problem affects you and the teacher both, maybe both of you should come up with Consequences for her. My daughter has a habbit of not doing all her homework, so now the rule is, if she doesnt do her homework, then she will loose recesse ALL week, even if it was just a tiny bit of homework missed. You have to "hit them where it hurts" so to speak. You have to make sure they know that their choices come with consequences, best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• you need to be more consistent with your daughter. she needs to know that 100% of the time her bad behavior will make it so she loses out on extra cirricular activities such as going out to eat, new shoes, going to a friends house or having them come over. You need to find out what is of value to her and take it away as punishment and not just for a day or two either. I know with my oldest I told him o clean his room he had 3 chances I told him each time if he didn't I would clean OUT his room. He didn't think I would he went to school one day came home to an empty room just a dresser, bed and desk. No toys, TV, games etc I made him do with out for 2 weeks he learned his lesson. I never had a problem with him not listening again. I would also recommend the book 1-2-3 magic you can google it. Buy it read it do what it says....

If you cannot learn to control her now you will never control her at 13-14-15-16 etc
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2009