How do I get her to stop saying DAMN?

My husabnd and I were great at curbing out language when my daughter was born, but I could never stop saying damn. It just didn't seem like a bad word until a couple weeks ago when my 2 1/2 year old started saying it. At first we tried to ignore figuring she would stop, well it didn't work. She has been saying it more and I told her that was not nice and she should say poop or dang instead she refuses and says no damn, damn damn. I told it is not a nice word nd if she hears mommy and daddy say that, to put us in a timeout, still hasn't worked. I want to start putting her in timeout when she says it, but most of the time it is when we are in the car or at a store, where timeout is not an option. Any ideas?

lilysmom2607

Asked by lilysmom2607 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i will tell you what my mom use to do and im sure alot of parents are not going to agree with this but i have not had this problem so im giving whatever advice i can- my mom use to wash our mouths out with soap. actually she made us lick the soap if we cussed. we quit cussing. lol.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• SThompson21 that is is exactly what we had to do too...curb it for good.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• We had a problem w/our 3 yr old DS saying dammit...we just told him it was a bad word, not to say it, etc. Luckily he caught on fairly quickly and because he is such a HUGE Spongebob fan, he now says *Barnacles!* I might catch him slip every now and then, but not as bad as it used to be. Good luck to you! :)
    FL_momof2

Answer by FL_momof2 at 11:22 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• This is a clear case of do as I do and not as I say, which is literally a never ending battle. Parents MUST know that kids will NOT do what we say, but will do as we do. Ive learned this lesson the hard way too. First thing is if shes old enough to understand, sit her down and repent to her for YOU using the word. She needs to know that YOU did wrong first before shes going to understand that SHES done wrong. I dont believe in "adult words" meaning its okay for adults to do but not for kids. Granted there are some things that are age appropriate, but for the most part, if its not okay for them to do, such as lie, cheat, steal, curse, ect...then its not okay for us either. Once youve done that, then explain that NO ONE is going to use that word and there will be consequences for using it. She needs to know that moms not perfect and you do make mistakes too, so make sure if you say it, you repent to her everytime just like her.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• First you must work on yourself and your SO. Replace "damn!" with a word that is less offensive, but funny to you. Make sure you don't mind your child repeating the word. It'll eventually become a habit. Most importantly, if she says "damn" don't give her any attention. Don't correct her. If she does not get any reaction, this word will be forgotten. When she is older, you may teach her the difference between "adult" words and proper words. It's likely to not happen until she's school-aged.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2009