what if your grandson (who is only 3)comes home and says I won't tell my mommy, and you find out that what it is, is that his stepmom called his mommie a B*#@%^ and said she was stupid and told him not to tell her. We did speak with our daughter about this and she told her exhusband, but her says he does not believe that, he thinks that toddlers 2 1/2 to 3 yrs old make things up. So I am looking for other opinions. Please help!!

Pam-S

Asked by Pam-S at 9:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just another problem divorce brings to the families!

Responding to your question adults might think that children don't listen to them. So I think that the child is not making things up. Adults: it's time for you to sit down and talk about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Kids don't make up those words and at that age, they don't put those into a sentance together unless they've heard it before.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I agree, A child of that age didn't make it up. If you were talking about a 13-16 year old, then I may not believe it...but a 2-3 year old has to hear something like that first.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 9:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Ugg. Kids don't jsut make things up at that age. He obviously heard someone say it. There's no reason for him to lie, so I would believe him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• He doesn't have the reasoning capability to understand what would happen if he told that lie, nor the skill to put those ideas together on his own. I think he heard it, probably more than once too. Get everyone together to talk is your best bet.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• There is nothing you can do to control another adult(?)'s behavior. For you or your daughter to over-react and escalate the situation will not do any good. It will probably only make things worse.

I would simply talk with your grandson and try to explain that things happen and sometimes even adults don't get along with each other. No matter how nice somone is (even his mommy) sometimes people have misundertandings and people get angry. Sometimes people say rude things about other people when they are angry.

I would tell him that you think the things the GF said and words she used were rude and that it is easier for people to learn to get along if they use polite words rather than rude words. I would also let him know that you hope he will continue to try to use polite words when he is angry with someone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009