Can the school give the flu shot to a student without notification to parents?

The swine flu vaccine will be mandatory to elementary students according to the latest news.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't think they can give anything w/o parents permission. How would they know who has had the shot, what meds taken or whatever w/o consulting with the parents first? There are some children who cannot have certain shots due to allergic reactions to ingredients, if the school gave a child something w/o parental consent, i would assume they would get a lawsuit.

I put in my childs' records that he is not to be givin ANYTHING without a phone call to me FIRST.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Nope they can't-and what is your link. They said that this wasn't going to be 'mandatory"???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• my DD school said it wasn't mandatory but they recommend it. they have to have the parents approvel. GL
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 9:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• "Hundreds of school districts nationwide have agreed to allow vaccinations in school "buildings, once the vaccine becomes available in mid- to late October as the nation prepares for a spike in swine flu cases in the coming months."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Schools can't even give Tylenol without your permission.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:56 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Go to the school and put it in the record that you do NOT give them permission to give the shot if you don't want the shot given to your child. I'd take a letter, sign it in front of the Principal and make him/her sign it as well showing they acknowledge receipt of that form

Answer by admckenzie at 10:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• they cannot do anything medically to your child w/out your say so. I make sure the school nurse has all my sons updated shots, medications and dental records on hand just in case something were to happen at school. The EMT's would be there before me and it would help my son if she could give the EMT's a medical background including last shots and current meds. I also inform her when I give him OTC meds as well.....

justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think they are planning on making it available to be administered in schools to make it easier on parents to get the kids vaccinated. However, they can NOT give any child a shot without a permission form signed in advance by parents. The government is not requireing it, they are "strongly encouraging" everyone to get it.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Paranoid a bit? No one can perform a medical intervention on your child without permission, unless it is an emergency. Mandatory means get the shot or stay home, not " Hold this kid while we stick a needle in his arm. Hurry up before his mother sees us!"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• No, they cannot you have your civil rights. My daughter's school will also have the free flu shots provided, but this year you will need 3 shots. The swine shot comes in 2 shots at different times and then for the normal shot. My daughter will receive the flu shot from her doctor and not her school. I don't believe anyone has the right to take control and decide what it is. We don't live in China. Mandatory just means that you child will have to receive the shot, if not at school then by way of doctor. You have the right to dispute if if you need be.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 12:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009