HOW DO I TELL MY FAMILY?

NOT SURE WHERE TO POST THIS!! I'M ADDICTED TO PAIN PILLS. I HAVE BEEN TAKING THEM, AND MY FAMILY KNOWS, BUT THEY DON'T KNOW THAT I HAVE BEEN TAKING WAY MORE THEN I'M SUPPOSE TO. I AM A RECOVERING ADDICT FROM METH BEEN CLEAN FOR 4 1/2 YEARS, AND HAVE BEEN TAKING PILLS FOR 1 YR. HOW CAN I TELL THEM I SCREWED UP AGAIN. I DON'T WANT TO PUT MY KIDS THROUGH ALL THIS AGAIN. PLEASE NO BASHING I'M ASKING FOR HELP PLEASE.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• admiting that there is a problem is always the first step. you need to remove the pain pills from your home and have a sit down with your family and BE HONEST. tell them you need help, you want help. you HAVE to get the pills away from you though. wherever you are getting them from, delete the number, ignore the calls, and stay away from them. mistakes happen. addicts slip up-its how it is- believe me. i have been there. good luck and stay strong :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i woul;dnt tell unless your seeking help and support from them,pick the person that means the most to you and tell them,word will spread and hopefuly you will get the help u need
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Are you married? Do you have a So? If you do maybe you can tell them. I'm not sure if you are close to your parents or anyone for that matter. Maybe you can go to them privately and tell them about your situation. Say that you are reaching out for help. I really commend you for wanting to tell someone and get help. That is a very important step. I wish you the best of luck.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 9:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Tell your SO/DH, not your kids.Talk to him about it first, away from the kids. You two deside what your going to do first. Before telling the kids.

Answer by louise2 at 9:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If they will be supportive just ask for their help during this time. If they are not supportive of this step back then don't tell them until you are ready and get in a group of a 12 step program like NA to help.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:45 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• p.s. I agree with louise2, do NOT tell the kids unless a trained professional tells you to do so. Just stick with "mom's been sick lately" for kids. You can decide what you want to say to them, if anything, later when you are healthier.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• be honest with yourself, your family and any medical help you get. This is going ot be something you fight everyday of your life. Please get help again. Do not be ashamed of yourself. I have a friend that just got out of jail for her pain pill addiction. Please for your family and yourself seek help again. If you want to talk PM me.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Make an appt with your Doc ~ tell him/her about your struggle with addiction ~ Ask for an RX of Narcan (pill) This counter acts the effects of opiates. My DH suffers the same plus alcohol ~ He has been on both antibuse (for alcohol) and Narcan for the prescription meds. Take a family member with you. My DH NEVER had the guts to tell me, I do know the signs and symptoms of addiction as I worked in a recovery facility. I would confront him and he would deny it ~ Then I started having him pee test. BINGO! It truely affects all aspects of your life and will suck you and everyone around you dry! ~Emotionally financially, socially, ect. It's hard to put yourself out there, but you must before more damage is done. ~ I pray ~Lord give her the strength to overcome and give her the power to change. Give strength to the weak, hope to the hopeless.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2009