Is it normal for a baby to cough everyday?

So my baby has been having this weird cough for the past week. It happens a couple of times during the day, but it's like dry cough. No phlegm, fever, eats well, normal dirty/wet diapers. His cough sounds like when you get a little crumb stuck on your throat and you start to cough. I hope I did my best to explain it. Anyway, he has a doctor's appointment but my husband thinks I'm overreacting to his cough. He says it's normal for babies to cough, but I think for this to happen everyday is NOT normal. I just don't know what could be causing him to cough like this. Oh, and he's 7 months old too.

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's what my daughter's cough sounded like when she first coughed at 2 weeks old a month later she had ear and throat infections bronchi. Then 3 months finally diagnosed with R S Virus and later asthma.

How old is baby? If she's had cough for a while and its' a bit after eating or while eating baby probably just clearing throat. But if sounding like choking or congested take him in. But if no nose congestion or red throat, no ear infection no fever doctor will probably tell you treat symptoms no antibio.

Just keep a journal to write what he ate ahead of time and general health at the time of an episode. He sounds healthy just with a tickle that maybe he likes to experience.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thank you lfl for your answer. He's 7 months old, but this cough happens way after he's done eating. I get scared because it sounds like he's choking a little bit. So like I said, he has a doctor's appointment.
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 10:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• op how your son is that's exactly how my daughter started at 2 months. Keep that journal of about how often during day - is it a long difficult cough to clear for baby? or quick and short but often? My baby was tested for acid reflux but was negative and as I said had RS Virus and asthma since then.

Its good that he's not feverish or congested. Be sure to write down all of your questions for your doctor.

Hope baby feels better mommy!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• At 7 months he could be teething and coughing on the excess saliva. OR he could be imitating someone in the house. My DD coughs if someone else coughs. Some times she walks around coughing just cause it's a new sound that's fun to make.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:37 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• He probably just figured out how to do it and has added coughing to his vocabulary. You'll find this happens a lot with random things over the next few months. My daughter faked sneezing for awhile...her latest is laughing when she hears other people laugh (although it is usually well after they've finished).
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009