How long after your C-Section Before you could.....

Drive?
Have Sex?
Shower?
Lift Things other than baby?
wear clothes that touched your incision?

I have to have a scheduled C-section with my third pregnancy and I have never had one before. I would like to know what to expect. THanks Ladies

SusanReeves

Asked by SusanReeves at 10:02 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Shower.. a couple days later. Clothes that touch the incision......when you're released, but try to keep it loose. Try to buy the next size up that you wear in granny panties so they are above your incision line. I didnt have sex till almost two months after. Drive, i think it was a few weeks.

THis was all me though.
    I ended up with an infection in my incision so it took me a bit longer to heal.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I had one with my daughter. I think it's the best thing in the world. I would rather have a tiny incision on my tummy than have a watermelon come out of a hole the size of a pea. Lol. Seriously though. It is major surgery. Don't be nervous though. You don't feel at all when you are being cut. My lower body such as legs were hard to move a while after because of the epideryl. The feeling came back pretty quickly though. I stayed in the hospital 4 days. I didn't shower the first 3 days because it was hard to get up. I needed help to go to the restroom and to clean myself. The fourth day my husband helped bathe me. The pain is not bad after a couple of painkillers and I was fine. On my third day home I was able to get up on my own. You can wear pretty much anything it won't bother you incision. Obviously you can't wear your skinny jeans. You can wear pretty lose fitting clothing. I kept my tummy brace on for a while.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 10:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Continued. I just felt more secure with it on. Also you will still bleed. For some reason women who don't know that if you have a c-section you are still going to bleed. Good luck. I wish you the best.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 10:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• 3 c sections for me - drive 6 weeks but I took 8 weeks for first one. Sex eight weeks if comfortable, wait longer till comfortable if want my ob told me. Shower -two weeks. I should have bought stocks in tidywipe companies, tgf dry shampoo. Life vacuum, reach high shelves anywhere I waited pretty much till past a month. About a month I was able to wear seams on my tummy from pants or skirts waistbands.

Blessings for new baby - if hospital offers csection classes - take them. Different hospitals do different. Have someone advocate specifically and only for you while section - if epidural or spinal - I had 3 epidurals my arms went numb with my legs and I couldn't wipe my own tears or wipe my nose from my tears. Don't be to use pain med in hospital- you can time for before visitors. Be sure to have someone help you at home for a good two weeks, nurture you with food, sleep so you can nurture baby and other children.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• i showered while i was still in the hospital....i lifted things heavier than my newborn the day i came hom from the hospital.....i drov one week after my c-ection and i am waiting to have sex until i am 4-6 weeks post partum....i didnt have anyon to help me at hom with my newborn and 2 year old becuase my huby had to work so i risked alot but ihad to do what i had to do..i had no other choice...best of uck
    Mamaof2boys0709

Answer by Mamaof2boys0709 at 10:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I've had 2 c-sections. The truth is the recovery is much worse than vaginal. Be prepared to heal from major surgery and not expect to be yourself fully for a few weeks. Have help lined up for the first few weeks.

Here's an answer to your questions:
    Drive? 2 weeks...that's what the doctor's say and I stuck to it. Your reaction time is too slow to drive safely due to the pain of the incision before then.
    Sex? Doctors say 6 weeks. I say you're good to go at 3 weeks as long as your bleeding has stopped. No sex as long as the postpartum bleeding is going on because it increases your risk for infection. I had sex 12 after my surgery and I hurt for 5 days from it...it was just too darn soon.
    Shower? 24 hours after surgery. You should be taking a shower 24 hours after surgery .
    Lift Things? 6 weeks, or you could tear your internal stitches
    Wear clothes that touch incision? 3 weeks
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:20 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think its really different for everyone. People on here told me before mine to get up and moving as soon as you can and I did. I think it actually made it worse. My advice is don't rusha anything. Plan to be out of commision for 6 weeks and if you feel uo to things earlier, great! It took me a full 7 weeks before I could move around normally. I needed help for the first 2 weeks at home...after that I didn't mind being home alone but I couldn't do much.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 2, 2009