Left and Right - Can we agree on anything?

I've noticed while reading some questions and answers that people on the left and people on the right agree on some issues, even if they don't agree with the specifics. For example, most people on the left and right will agree that healthcare needs reform, even if they disagree on exactly how. As for me, I'm a conservative, but I am not "anti-public assistance", just against those who abuse the system. So, I was wondering - if you consider yourself "left" or liberal or Dem, do you AGREE with any of the opinions of those on the "right" or conservative or GOP? If you consider yourself right, do you agree with any of those on the left? If you are independent, do you agree with BOTH sides on the issue? I would just be nice instead of arguing, if we could AGREE on something!

Imogen13

Asked by Imogen13 at 10:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hmm...

I tend to lean heavily right on the issue of legalization of marijuana. I only support it for medical use, with a prescription.

I'm sure there is something else, it's just not coming to me at the moment.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Not really......maybe if both sides......would meet in the middle. That would be idea, but we all know that is not going to happen with this President, Maybe it will start to happen in the next election when we get our NEW President in 2012.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thank you for asking this question. I think thinking ppl, ppl who are not twisted up by their politics that they become angry hate-mongers can agree on a lot. First of all, we are all Americans, and hopefully, we all love our nation's mission- to be a free and open society, built on the Constitution, for all. I tend not to think of "left" and "right" positions, but rather listen to individual's and decide if I agree with them based on the content of their message. As soon as someone starts name-calling and scapegoating, I tune out. I think ppl need to free their minds from their party lines and their pundits and just think for themselves.

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 10:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• When it comes to the issue of abortion i agree with the right. I am pro-life. Thats about it.

2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 10:41 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Not really......maybe if both sides......would meet in the middle. That would be idea, but we all know that is not going to happen with this President, Maybe it will start to happen in the next election when we get our NEW President in 2012. tyme4me2day

See, why do you have to go there? Why do you have to find something negative to say? Why do you have to blame, when it is so irrelevant to the question? How does that help move our nation forward? You just end up alienating ppl with your anger. Why not try to be positive, try to find something we all can agree on? I bet that if you got to know many ppl who disagree with you politically you would find that they are more like you than you might believe.

21stCenturyMom

Answer by 21stCenturyMom at 10:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I lean left on a couple issues, legalizing marijuana and public assistance are just a couple examples. Of course right now I cant for the life of me think straight...
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:44 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Well said 21st CenturyMom!
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 10:47 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm pretty much total lefty...lol!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I'm in the middle.

I can see both sides and vote accordingly.
    The opinions of those who sit at the poles, often leave me scratching my head-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The left and right agree on most things - the fighting starts when it's time to figure out how to do them
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2009