Does anyone know of a good flea killer for cats?

I've tried almost everything! Flea collars, flea bath, etc! My 3 year old son is allergic to flea bites! I've bombed the house and my 2 cats STILL have fleas! Everytime I give them a bath I feel like I've gone to war! I really don't want to get rid of my cats so if anyone has tried something and it worked let me know! Thanks ladies!

Katrina3016

Asked by Katrina3016 at 10:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pets

• Talk to your vet about prescribing either Frontline, Advantage or Revolution. They are topical flea killers... You put them on the cats skin monthly to prevent fleas. Preventing them from getting on the pet will in turn help with the home population. after starting the treatment you will still need to bomb (or something along those lines) to help put the current population in check. After that the meds on the cat alone should do the trick. Remember NOTHING can kill the pupae stage so you may see another hatch out in a few months.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Also I wanted to add. please do not use the Over the counter topical flea killers for cats. The are full of something called pyrethrins and that can cause seizures in so many cats. I can't believe they are still allowed to sell it.  Also keep in mind when you call about the topical flea meds that they sound expensive because they are sold in 6 month supplies(here about 75 that breaks down to about 12.5 a month) .  Some clinics will allow you to buy one month at a time but it would cost you more in the long run (here like 14 a dose).  The manufactuer also (at least here) almost always has a coupon for one or two additional free does with the 6 month supply.

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:59 PM on Sep. 2, 2009