On my marraige certificate my husband was asked who is your father? and he gave the name of the man who raised him, not his biological father, will this effect our marriage. We did not realize this til days later.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• Go ask a lawyer about it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Call the office where you registered.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 10:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It shouldn't.. YOu two still said your vows and had the paper signed. Just call and tell them.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Tell him he just screwed up his family history for generations to come. lol Genealogists depend on those documents to be factual. Call the Courthouse and see if he can amend it.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:35 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• do you ladies know if this would affect the date we were married? I'll be honest, I'm just facing this issue now, and we were married 10/20/2008...but we did realize it a few days after..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Husband didn't lie about his last name or social security number or birth date. Doubt you're illegally married. Just call courthouse plus in addition call a lawyer who specializes in family law and ask them. This is a simple question - some lawyer somewhere in your state will speak to you over the phone for free
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't think it would nullify your marriage but I would get it corrected. But like the other ladies said, I would talk to a lawyer. You don't want to deal with some high-on-their-horse law clerk who is going to accuse you of fraud. It needs to be explained that it was done in error with no attempt to fraud anyone.

I do know, though, that when you sign a marriage license, you are swearing to the courts & the state that all of the information is true to the best of your knowledge. If your DH had never known about his bio dad, it would be different. But since he did know & just did it wrong, it may be an issue. If for some reason you are not legally married, maybe you could marry at the courthouse on the same day this year? Best of luck!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:48 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thank You Ladies. I guess the only reason I'm addressing the issue now, is that we are fixing to have to present his birth certificate and our marriage license to the state of TN for him to change his CDL's to TN, cause he doesn't have utilities in his name to use as proof, or a vehicle, so he has to prove relationship to me, to use my stuff. but I'm worried they will compare the two and then we are screwed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2009