Is martial arts appropriate for a slightly aggressive child?

My son is slightly aggressive. I say slightly because he is aggressive towards his siblings but not towards other people. He seems to have a touch of add or something like that and we believe he has a sensory disorder (but we have it under control)

He has good behavior at school, obeys his teachers and is kind to other students, the problems are mainly at home. He has some angry outbursts and is defiant but again, it's at home only.

We have not had him evaluated for a problem yet, but plan on doing so. I do not believe his problems are serious, but know they are not normal.

I'm thinking about putting him in martial arts, hoping that it can assist me with discipline (him learning control self discipline) and how to channel his aggression into something productive.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yes, it teaches discipline

Answer by admckenzie at 10:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think it would be great for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I think it can be helpful. It teaches them discipline, and gives them an outlet for that kind of energy and teaches them to put boundaries on it. My oldest was aggresive with bigger boys at school and we put him in tae kwon do. If there had been any incidents of aggresion outside the class, he would have had to have missed class that week. It was a good outlet for him.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:43 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• yes both of my boys took it. shop around talk to parents who have kids enrolled. The cost can be anywhere from $25.00 a month to $200.00
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 10:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• heard it is a great discipline teacher. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• if he's only having issues at home the the problem is the enviorment not the child. When its the child the issues happen regardless of the enviornment.
    Martial arts are a great idea, depending on the sensei. Pick a school that reinforceswhat you want for your son.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 3:09 PM on Sep. 6, 2009

• Martial arts is great for kids. It teaches them discipline, self respect, and to respect others.
    moemoesmom

Answer by moemoesmom at 3:30 PM on Sep. 7, 2009