what can i do for a 13month olds constipation??

My 13 month old is having a hard time pooping and when he does it is hard....i am waitingfor my insurance to kick in so is there anything that will help getting his poops soft? he is still squeezing(grunting) but no results

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give him prune juice (Gerber makes a pretty good apple prune juice in the baby section), and if he eats bread, give him OroWheat Double Fiber bread. My daughter just had her first really bad bout of constipation, and this is what we did for her. It worked within a few hours. Also make sure he stays very very hydrated. Give him water constantly. Avoid dairy products if possible til the constipation is gone.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• A little prune juice will do the trick.

Answer by louise2 at 10:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If he'll eat carrots, they will also help. (Odd as it sounds, that was our pediatrician suggested...) Pear juice will help if he won't drink prune juice. One caution on increasing fiber, don't give him too much too fast, He'll end up with gas and a whole new set of problems...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2009