Do you know your kids IQ?

My DD had a IQ test done and I was just wondering if anyone else had. If so how old are they and what was it?

MomOfFour24

Asked by MomOfFour24 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• Two of my sons had IQ tests, at different ages. My oldest son had two done at age 8, one was 148 and one was 152. My middle son had one done at age7 it was 139, and later at age 12 it was 149... lots of different things can affect the outcome. The school told my oldest son his IQ, and I think it was a big mistake, we've never told my middle son his IQ. My brothers both had IQ tests, and both were in the 140's.

The problem with an IQ test is it doesn't really tell how smart you are, it tells what you have the potential for.......it can be affected by so many outside factors. If a child's IQ is lower than they think it should be, they feel like they're not very smart, and maybe aren't capable of as much as other people, and if it's very high, they may think they're smarter than other people, and treat other people differently, or think they don't have to work to accomplish things. Be careful what you tell her.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:19 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• my son is 4, so no............i agree with the first post that kids shouldnt know their scores, it is not good either way.......
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My DD is 5 and we have not told her what it was. But hers was 133 and they said thats high for a 5 year old.
    MomOfFour24

Answer by MomOfFour24 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2009