Braxton Hicks @ 16 weeks?

For the last 2 weeks now I have been getting this tightening in my uterus. It hurts a little and kind of takes my breath away. Could I be possibly having braxton hicks contractions this early or could something else be going on? I have an appt on Friday but I don't know if I can wait that long still. Any suggestions?

jmlock5683

Asked by jmlock5683 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should google "Braxton Hicks" it will give all the information that your looking for. I see you have a doctor appt. set and that's good...you should be seeing an obgyn/doctor during your pregnancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• is this your first pregnancy ? i have been feeling the same way your saying but this is baby 4 for me and i had talk to midwife and she reassured me its just all your insides getting ready for the baby u will be fine , still seek advice thou to be on the safe side hunni and good luck xx
    happymam2b

Answer by happymam2b at 11:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Braxton Hicks contractions can begin as early as the second trimester, however they are most common in the third trimester. The muscles of your uterus tighten for approximately 30 to 60 seconds or as long as 2 minutes. Braxton Hicks are also called “practice contractions” because they will prepare you for the real thing and you can practice the breathing exercises you are learning in your childbirth classes. The following are triggers of Braxton Hicks:

When you or the baby are very active
    If someone touches your belly
    When your bladder is full
    After sex
    Dehydration
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• What can I do to alleviate Braxton Hicks contractions?
    Change positions; lie down if you have been standing or go for a walk if you have been sitting or laying
    Take a warm bath for 30 minutes or less
    Drink a couple of glasses of water, because contractions may be brought on by dehydration
    Drink a warm cup of herbal tea or milk
    If doing any of these does not alleviate your contractions, you should contact your health care provider.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Braxton Hicks start at 6 weeks, but they are so light you wont notice them. I think you should call your ob
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Remember to drink an herbal tea that isn't going to onset real contractions, not all herb teas are safe during pregnancy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• sounds like braxton hicks to me. I started noticing them around the 14-16 week mark, too. they really shouldn't take your breath away though. that part I would definitly bring up to your doc. and as PP said, stay hydrated and when you feel one, drink some water, change positions, et.c.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• make sure you are keeping yourself well hydrated. Sometimes not drinking enough fluids (water) may cause the uterus to contract and tighten. Also try changing your activity, walk or lie down on your side.

Gelijones

Answer by Gelijones at 1:15 PM on Sep. 2, 2009