Are we a Christian Nation?

This question is because of a previous question.

Christians think we are. Non-Christians say we're not.

It's erroneous to think that this nation was founded specifically for Christianity. The pilgrims left England because of a tyrannical king. They wanted the right to worship as they chose, but they also wanted to be free men. The founding fathers specifically left God out of the Constitution because they didn't want it to confuse people into thinking we are a Christian nation. We have freedom for ALL religions. Just b/c the majority claim Christianity still doesn't make us a Christian nation. We're still a melting pot of all religions and nationalities.

So I say, "No, we are not a Christian nation." What do you say?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No, we are not. We have Christian's in it. Previously, Christianity was the most accepted religion in the US, but that is changing by leaps and bounds everyday.

Our Founding Fathers were Deists, and were educated men that were aware of other religions and saw how religion had torn apart other countries, so they provided us with a land where we were allowed to worship or not in the manner we choose. It wasn't until McCarthyism that "In God We Trust" was added to our money and seals.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am a Christian and I believe we are a Christian Nation. The people who set up the constitution were christians who wanted to practice how they saw fit and seperate a corrutp government from interfering with religion. I think everyone here has rights, but we are a Christian nation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have a right to be a Christian here in America.

America was established so we could have the freedom of religion of our choice.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Most of the people "set up" the Constitution were in fact NOT Christians, but Deists. If they wanted it to be a Christian nation to keep a corrupt gov't from interfering with their religion, why didn't they profoundly make this a Christian nation by saying it flat out. But, they do NOT mention God at all in the Constitution.

You say you're a Christian, would you write a Constitution and leave God out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I believe the way you do, (person who posted this).

Answer by louise2 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I am a Christian and I believe we are NOT a Christian Nation and never have been. Most of the people who founded this country were not Christians.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Not until Christians kick everyone else out.

We are a BLENDED nation .
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 11:09 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• "A professorship of theology should have no place in our institution." -Thomas Jefferson.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 11:10 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• never have been never will be, thinking it ever was is the most wishful of all thinking
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• We are a blended nation where everyone has the right to believe what they want WITH limits. And think everyone needs to stop attacking each other over religion.
    We also have rules and laws and ALL PEOPLE need to comply with the laws whether their religion allows for it or not. No one should get special treatment because of their religion or should they be harrassed because of it. If you don't like the rules or laws call your representative or move. Ok, I know thats not what you asked for but, thats my opinion. I am Christian...Off my soapbox now!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:39 AM on Sep. 2, 2009