How to make baby food?

How do you make baby food, and how do you know it contains everything baby needs?

dbodani

Asked by dbodani at 11:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• making baby food is very easy, and before age one, breastmilk/formula still needs to be the main source of nutrition, and solids are more like a snack w/ empty calories. when your baby is ready for solids, some great first foods are bananas, which you can simply mash, mix w/ breastmilk or water and serve!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:27 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I make all my babies food and it is the easiest thing to do. I use the blender for everything just because mashing can leave chunks that baby gags on. Things like apples, pears, hard peaches, and squash, all you have to do is peel them and boil them. When they are soft puree them. I put leftovers in ice cube trays and then freezer bags when they are solids. Any soft fruit or vegetable you can put straight in the blender. As far as the nutrients, there is no worry. As long as you are providing a variety of fruits and vegetables, your baby will get everything it needs. I love making my own food because I can give her different fruits andvegetables that you can not find in the baby food isle. Also, the later stages of fruit have citric acid added to them. My baby does not like the taste that is adds. She won't eat the second stage fruits. Good luck.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• look at the website, www.wholesomebabyfood.com
    I got a lot of ideas there.

Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 1:03 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Baby will get more nutrients from homemade baby foods than from commercial ones because you won't be boiling them to the point where you drain most of the nutrients. You can also offer a lot more variety. Think of "eating across the rainbow" when you're feeding baby. You want to make sure all colors are represented at some point in baby's diet. (i.e. Red Apples, Orange Pumpkin, Yellow Squash, Green Beans, etc.). The general rule is to de-seed, peel, steam (or bake) and puree. Banana and Avocado do not need to be steamed. You can use a food processor or a blender. Do a batch of each fruit/veggie and freeze them in ice cube trays. Once frozen put them in ziploc bags labeled with the food and date. Foods are good 2-3 days in the fridge, 2-3 months in a regular freezer and 6 mo+ in a deep freezer. Get creative when serving - grab one cube banana and one cube avocado for a tropical treat, etc. Feel free to email me.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• wholesomebabyfood.com awesome website with timelines, guidelines, and recipes!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 3:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• fresh veggies, steamed and then mashed.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:06 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Cook vegetables, puree in food processor with cooking water until it reaches consistency for your child's age. Put into covered containers. Worth it!!
    blondie1973

Answer by blondie1973 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 2, 2009