Do you call your child by their middle name?

My daughter's middle name is nicer I did not want her first name but her dad did. she 9 and I haven't consistently called her by her middle name. So I don't think everyone will chg with me. She likes her middle name too.

JCRestoredme

Asked by JCRestoredme at 11:06 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My nephew has the same 1st name as his dad, and when he was a baby his mom (and everyone in the family) called him by his middle name. He is an adult now, and he goes by his middle name and does not use his 1st name at all.
    For your daughter you should talk to her- ask her if it is ok that you call her by her middle name- and see how she feels about it. Maybe it can be a personal thing between the 2 of you (kind of like a nickname or name of endearment). As for getting others to call her by the middle name, it might be hard for those that know her to start calling her something else.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I only use my kids middle names when their in trouble. But my mil only goes by her middle name, she still gets official correspondence with her "real" first name, but everyone knows her by her middle name.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:16 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• It is really up to your daughter. Even if you don't like her first name now, it is the name she has known for 9 years. If she wants people to call her by her middle name, she needs to let people know & you need to be there to help back her on it. Start with family & then her friends. If she really wants to change to her middle name, you might also need to talk to the school principal & her teacher.

My grandma, grandpa, mom, and two nephews all go by their middles names but for all of them, it was something that started practically at birth. They were all given family names for their first names & then called by their middle names to avoid confusion. I think it is more difficult to change your name as you get older but it can be done with patience & kindness to others who forget & use the wrong name. Good luck to her!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:57 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Only when I'm REALLY pissed at them. I go by my middle name. Some cultures use the middle name as the main name.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• We call them by their first and middle names together all the time. Kind of a tradition in my mom's family. But my husband calls our middle daughter by just her middle name all the time. Not sure why, it's kind of their thing.
    Her name is Brenna Caitlen and Daddy calls her just Caitlen when they are being silly. She's the only one that he does that with. It's cute. And she answers to both names.
    One of my friends growing up always went by his middle name. No clue why his family called him that but they did. He's like 29 now and my dad didn't even know that the name we called him wasn't his real first name and we've known them for 20 years.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, because their stupid father wanted her first name to be Karla, he said we can always call her Isabel, which is her middle name. I told him, NO, when she gets to school there are going to be issues with her name. And lo and behold, what do they call her at school? KARLA!!!!! GRRRR. Now he's like, maybe we should have put her first name as Isabel...no DUH! Now he wants to go have it legally changed, because no one but the people at school call her Karla, and she has never been Karla, always Isabel. Why do men have to push it when it comes to things like this....???? I mean, seriously, what is the point of giving the child a first name you are never going to use???? If you call them by their middle name, why not name them that in the first place??? LOL.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 1:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Thank you ladies and again she likes her middle name too :) Kaitlyn "Kaitie". My daughters first name is a made up name combined of her dad and my name lol so no one else in the world probably has it.
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 1:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009