Tummy Time

So my son is almost 5 months old and the Dr. always says how important tummy time is so I do it (he hates it) but other moms told me they never did it and really isn't a big deal so what is the truth and if I should do it how old are they when they don't need it anymore??

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 11:11 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son also hated tummy time until he could roll over on his own. We maybe did it once or twice a day and only until he got upset and then it was over. He started sitting up on his own at 5-6 months and started crawling at 8 months so I do not think it slowed him down too much if at all. I would do it as long as he will tolerate it then stop.
    J.P

Answer by J.P at 12:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• The idea is to build strength in the upper body so they can crawl, roll over and stuff like that. If that's not important to you don't do, but it may delay these milestones. I did it, but only five minutes four or five times a day. It's really up to you. They don't need it when they are able to roll over, crawl, and sit unassisted.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:18 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• I have been wondering about that too. Mine is only almost 2 months old. But she hates hates hates being put on her stomach. And I don't really like listening to her get frustrated and holler. I always pick her up after a couple minutes. I feel like I'm torturing her each time. 

juliebulie

Answer by juliebulie at 11:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Exactly that's what he does to he will be ok for like 3 minutes then will cry and get so upset. I want him to learn how to do everything on time though so it's just hard.
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 11:30 AM on Sep. 2, 2009

• My daughter hated tummy time but when i started letting her cry a little while she was on her tummy she started to like it because she learned how to move.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 2:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2009