For those of you who send your kids to school. Do you keep the school nurse updated as to your childs medical info?

Like their history of shots, medications, allergies, any OTC meds you have given, dental records etc etc If not how come??
Do you inform your childs teacher of any major changes in the home such as a new pet, a pet dying, a new baby, a family member passing, new home, parent just getting married/divorced?
All of these things can affect your child in many different ways. I personally inform my kids teacher so that if my child is acting up or behaving differntly they will have an idea of what is going on and can better deal with and help my child (ren)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• IF there is something going on that can affect his behavior at school, I definately tell the teachers and school. If medical issues can affect school or affect his health, I tell the school. I told the school when my grandma was diagnosised with cancer (we though she wasn't going to make it), when my son's father decided to come back after 13 yrs and didn't bother to stick around. They know about the Sever's Disease my son has that affects his feet and legs and causes extreme pain and makes walking difficult. They have copies of his shots, allergies, etc. It is something the school needs to know in case something happens while he is at school so proper precautions are medical attention can be given.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• If my children/'s schools need things like vaccine records or dental exam records they give the sheets to the parents to fill out. As for medical conditions/allergies/medication taken there is a spot on one of the school forms to fill that in--- if it applys to the child. My school will not give children medicine unless the parent supplies the medicine and fills out a permission form.
    As for personal matters- it depends on what is going on and how my children are handling the situation before I alert the teachers.
    To anon-- some schools do require the child to have a dental checkup. My district requires them for certain grades and new students.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 3:16 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• Yes, I will. If anything were to happen and they had to call the ambulance, the nurse is the one responsible for telling the medics any medical information. She needs to have it all on file. (I had to sign a permission slip allowing her to talk about my son's medical information)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:39 PM on Sep. 2, 2009

• well certain things yes-if we moved, if our numbers change, when my mom passed away I let the school know even though they started school a month afterwards. Shot records I update at the beginning of the school year when I fill out the forms. However my son gets nightly injections of meds and every year I send in a signed doctor's form stating what meds he uses, the manner by which he gets them and a bunch of papers signed by the specialist. And I make sure I fill out the medical forms and highlight the info.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:45 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• I think it's safer to keep people that are looking after your kids all day well informed of their health issues and anything that may affect them emotionally. (like you said, loss of a pet or something like that)
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 10:26 AM on Sep. 3, 2009

• of course I do. The school nurse is not being nosey. I provide her will all kinds of info just in case. I would rather be safe than sorry. I do not think it is a big deal to tell her if I gave my son cold meds (OTC or otherwise) If we lost a family memeber or pet I inform them of that as well just in case the child starts crying, they will know why and be more understanding. Its best they know BEFORE it becomes and issue rather than AFTER. If DH and I were to divorce I would inform them of that as well. It affects the child. I feel as a parent it is important for the child to keep those who deal with them during the day up to date. Hell I even write the teacher a note if he stayed up late (the sneak!) so if he is groggy or sleepy she will know why . I also let them know when I will be out of the house so they know to call my cell phone that day or if I am too far away to call DH first. I can't undestand why some parents don't
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 30, 2010

• No. They get shot records and are asked to give meds if necessary. The rest they don't need to know. Why do they need to know what OTCs your kids is taking? They shouldn't be giving any thing you haven't approved so it shouldn't matter. And my homelife is not their concern unless it's obvioius my child is affected by it. A good teacher will ask if they notice a change. Why does the school need your kids dental records?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Sep. 2, 2009